WD TV Live

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Systems' started by Gabriel1, May 18, 2012.

1. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Bugger that! I'm an unrepentant addict, with every intention of getting worse.

2. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    First post updated to show more about what you can do with the remote app and what online services are available.

The Archangel

3. CHNP

CHNP
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I'm using WD live tv since a couple of months and I'm happy so far, streaming videos, pics, music from a NAS or external USB dive - no problem.
    Meanwhile I got an iMac and an iPad. The pad sees and can handle the WD box. But - the problem I have: How can I play my iTunes songs from the Mac via the WD and show aperture pics via the WD box? WD can see the Mac but no contend, although I shared all necessary folders.
    Any idea?

4. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Hi there and welcome!

Unfortunately the WD TV Live doesn't currently support iTunes format files. Personally I use an Apple TV alongside my WD TV Live to cover just about every eventuality. I'm unsure about Apperture files, do they have a specific format (like .pdf, .jpg, etc)?

The Archangel

5. skyscraper101

skyscraper101
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know if the WDTV will do airplay-type mirroring of the ipad screen. So, for example I could fling video playing in the browser over to a TV, if there is no specific app like youtube or iplayer for it.

6. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    No. You can only Airplay with an AppleTV or a genuine Apple AV Adapter.

7. superfish

superfish
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well I've hit a snag. I have an up to date WD TV Live +. An iPad2 Jailbroken. The WDTV Remote ($.99) APP.
    The app won't latch to the WD. I've tried the auto find command and I put in the IP address that I got from the WD using the regular controller.
    Using the regular controller I can see my other computers and devices and their shared files.
    I'm not sure where to go from here.

8. superfish

superfish
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Here I go again. If anyone knows the answer I'd appreciate knowing. I looked more closely at the APP write up and it is specific that it only works with WDTV live Hub. That seems to be the one with the built in HDD.

However, when I look at Gabe's writeup he has a simple WDTV Live. No HDD.

Can anyone verify this and give me a clue as to how to fix it. (see above post)

9. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    You are correct, I only have the WDTV Live, not the hub (as Ext HD's can be connected so I didn't see the point of the hub) and yes, the app does work with the version that I have.

The Archangel

10. tyreless

tyreless
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It used to only be for the hub. Since 24/9/2012 it also works on a simple WDTV Live (which I have). Check the version history in the app store for more specifics.

You need the latest firmware and latest app. I found it to be a bit flakey sometimes but generally speaking it works.