What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watching videos on hd screen tv

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all I've always been able to watch videos, play presentations, everything I fact my ipad saw the TV saw.

Today I connected my iPad 3 latest IOS, to the TV (all the right connection) and it says "This accessory not supported" on the iPad. it always was ! Anybody tell me what I've done wrong? Have I somehow changed something in the settings?

Ta again.

odonnks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine does it with the latest OS and did it with the previous OS.

It still worked and displayed on tv though.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine does it with the latest OS and did it with the previous OS.

It still worked and displayed on tv though.

Try that one again I don't quite understand ? Are you saying yours works or doesn't?

odonnks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine works but I still get the message you describe when plug the connector onto the iPad..

It does is with the latest OS and did it with the last OS.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok now I think I understand you get the device not supported thingy but it still works? I don't, I never did and it worked now I get the warning and the iPad top bar which is usually black turns blue and I get nothing on the TV screen - but only since 6.1.3 upgrade. I've tried it on several tvs with several hdmi cables and 3 different adapters. It can only be something with the upgrade.

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I tried this just now. IPad 3 IOS 6.1.3. HDMI cable from TV to HDMI adaptor in iPad. Up comes the dialog box that the device isn't supported. Go the TV's own proper remote, select the proper HDMI input... And voila, the screen is mirrored on the TV.

Normally, would just turn on the wireless mirroring.

Tin can

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I had this same problem. The tv I had was HD and also had the HDMI connections but it gave me the same result as you had not supported, the answer to my problem was the HD tv was 5 years old and 750p and I think the iPad is 1080p. I went out and bought a new tv that was 1080p and hey presto everything works fine. Try taking your ipad and connections to pc world and plug into one of their tv I think you will find it will work on theirs.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, thanks but I've tried all those suggestions but numerous tvs and monitors all hdmi and 1080p and 1080i settings and numerous cables and twenty adapters that it worked with before. Been in touch with apple US they agree that the problem is not in the iPad (hardware) or the TVs or cables albeit the build standard of the Apple adapters is all over the place, their view, not mine) mine are genuine apple products and serial numbered. They are now tending to agree that it is something in the 6.1.3 update, it affected some on 6.1.2 and still has not been resolved. I've opened a minefield with thousands of other customers having the same problem and they are working on it. Try googling it.

I did have to point out to them about their 1 year warranty was not law in the UK and that they have already been fined big bucks for trying to impose that in Italy. As soon as I posted them the link about them losing in court (and to be fair they had already agreed that my ipad was within their year limit by 3 days) they accepted it was their problem and are in the process of trying to sort it. I've had numerous cables and adapters sent gratis from them to no avail.

The next step I think is for them to replace the ipad3 with a new one. All in all they are trying to fix it but it is taking its time and am I left feeling that they are stalling in the vain hope I go away. It's really simple if you buy a brand new product (top of the range then) 64gb 4g machine the law expects it to be able to do what it is advertised as being able to do.

I'll keep you posted.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple today have solved my HDMI adapter problem by replacing my 4 Apple bought, adapters completely free of charge. The last one was only bought 3 weeks ago from the Apple shop in Basingstoke.

They did not dismiss the fact that 6.1.3 was to blame, apparently a lot of iPads were affected by 6.1.2 but everything worked perfectly before the updates and everything works again now. The build of some of their adapters can be suspect (their description not mine) and the 4 replacements came straight from a source which means they were produced only a few weeks ago.

If you have the same problem give them a call, all Apple adapters have a serial number which tracks where and when they were manufactured and everything in the UK has a 2 year warranty.

Most reactions

Latest posts