What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watching videos on an iPad2 but not via iTunes

Barcode

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son has an iPad2 supplied by his employer which he uses in his job. He travels a lot and would like to watch movies on the plane and in his hotel but not via iTunes. His employer has said that accessing iTunes can affect the software that has been loaded on the iPad.

Can you transfer .avi files to an iPad2 from a PC and then watch them with a program such as VLC? Do you need to run them thru some sort of converter? He doesn't want to have to drag them into iTunes.

I've looked around the forum but can't find an answer as yet.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course, you can always download movies from the iTunes Store (I think his employer meant don't connect it to a PC via the iTunes software) - there are lots of free movies there too.

Tim

OP
B

Barcode

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you saying that there is no software available that allows you to play a .avi file on an iPad2?

Valkrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is VLC for the iPhone and it may work on the iPad, Certainly worth a try, this plays AVI's fine.

pesnya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ahve exactly same question. I downloaded soccer games in avi format on my PC. How do i move them to ipad2? Thanks.
I used torretn to download.

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AVPlayerHD is $2.99 and will play .avi movie files just fine. It also plays .mkv 720p just fine as well, as and quite a few other file extensions too, with no conversion needed!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look here:-
Moderation Notice:This post has been edited by IPF staff in accordance with the Forum Rules

No external links please! Read the rules.

may be of use to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

Barcode

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks chevyguy. ziffos, can you enter the details without making it a link?

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^^^You're welcome. Did you check it out?^^^

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
B

Barcode

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't. I was asking for my son who lives up the top of Oz and I'm down the bottom. I sent him the details but haven't heard back from him as yet.

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Barcode said:
Are you saying that there is no software available that allows you to play a .avi file on an iPad2?

Hi barcode,

I have an app installed called GPlayer, it supports most main movie extensions including; avi, mp4, xvid and many more.

The app also comes in a free version (GPlayer Lite), with the same functionality, however there are advertising banners on the top of the app, which can get very distracting. The full version called GPlayer, is available in the app store costing $2.99.

I suggest try the free version, and then when you have fallen in love with it, you can spend that small $2.99.

Hope this help you some make his decision,
Chays

OP
B

Barcode

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Chays, I'll get him to check it out.

Most reactions

Latest posts