What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watching pictures from Dash Cam on Ipad Air

knoxbh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I watch the pictures I have recorded on my Garmin Dash Cam on my Ipad Air? If so, what cable do I need to accomplish this? Know one end has to be Lightning but not sure of the other. See cables for sale on Amazon that have TWO ends - one says for charging and the other for data. Is that what I need if it can be done? Thanks for your help.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can I watch the pictures I have recorded on my Garmin Dash Cam on my Ipad Air? ...........

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Please provide us a little more information; first, I'm assuming you are talking about the Garmin dash cam shown below; and second, do you want to just view still pictures and/or also motion pictures?

In looking at this CNET Review, the Garmin device takes JPEG images and records movies as .AVI files onto a micro-SD card up to 32 GB in capacity. Each of these processes, i.e. viewing still pics vs. watching a motion picture would require different considerations, so instead of outlining possibilities, please provide us some more details about what you would like to do, and also what you have tried so far. Dave
mg-02-lg.jpg

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the Garmin records to an SD card, you might be able to upload the pictures and video using the SD card to Lightning cable supplied by Apple.

Not sure how it would handle the AVI files though.

OP
K

knoxbh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Please provide us a little more information; first, I'm assuming you are talking about the Garmin dash cam shown below; and second, do you want to just view still pictures and/or also motion pictures?

In looking at this CNET Review, the Garmin device takes JPEG images and records movies as .AVI files onto a micro-SD card up to 32 GB in capacity. Each of these processes, i.e. viewing still pics vs. watching a motion picture would require different considerations, so instead of outlining possibilities, please provide us some more details about what you would like to do, and also what you have tried so far. Dave
View attachment 62988

OP
K

knoxbh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, have the Garmin Dash Cam and would like to watch both still & motion pictures on the Ipad (mostly motion). Just can't seem to find the right combination cable (mini usb - on dash cam - to lightning connector - on Ipad). Have found a possibility on TigerDirect.com called "Ultra Charge & Sync cable with lightning connector and micro USB". Not sure if that is what I need or not. I am trying not to have a connector between two USB ends. I think I have checked about every place on the Internet (Amazon, Monoprice, Apple, etc) and still not sure about availability. Any help for this 90 yr old "geek" will be appreciated!!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You won't be able to connect via cable directly between the Garmin and the iPad. You will likely need to export the files from the Garmin to say a PC, then transfer to the iPad for viewing.

Anything with a direct connection would require a specific app to drive it, if available.

EDIT: on further reading, Garmin do not provide any facility to connect or interface with an iPad in any way. It does provide viewing software for PC OR Mac on its website. This would be the most advisable, otherwise take out the microSD card and use the provided SD card adaptor to connect to your iPad using Apple's SD card to lightning adaptor cable (as suggested earlier).

Last edited:
OP
K

knoxbh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You won't be able to connect via cable directly between the Garmin and the iPad. You will likely need to export the files from the Garmin to say a PC, then transfer to the iPad for viewing.

Anything with a direct connection would require a specific app to drive it, if available.

EDIT: on further reading, Garmin do not provide any facility to connect or interface with an iPad in any way. It does provide viewing software for PC OR Mac on its website. This would be the most advisable, otherwise take out the microSD card and use the provided SD card adaptor to connect to your iPad using Apple's SD card to lightning adaptor cable (as suggested earlier).
Thanks for the info. Off to Orlando to the Apple store to buy the card reader. Certainly going to try it out before leaving the store. Never thought I would be getting a reply from Brisbane!! Again, many thanks for the help.

Most reactions

Latest posts