What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watching movies with multiple apps ?

Cfugge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

hope you can help me. I tried with search on older posts but I did not find the exact answer to the question that follows.

On my new iPad 2 3G 64 GB I need to watch movies. They are in different formats (containers like .avi, .mkv, .mv, etc.). I have started using an app called YXplayer but I am evaluating also other apps like GoodPlayer. I have syncronized through iTune on my MacBook about 20 of this files under the app YXplayer. I now need to test also GoodPlayer but looks I have to copy all files (several GBytes) once again and re-sync also on the new app ?? Is there any way to have all the video stored only once in the iPad to be opened alternatively with one or the other app ?

I consider also a cloud solution (like mobileme or dropbox) but I wouldn't like to stream every time from the internet.

Thanks... :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a program that most all iPad users have called GoodReader. It's the 'Swiss Army Knife' for the iPad and it can store files all together and in folders - or however you want them - and can transfer files to and from your PC using either WiFi or USB without the need for iTunes. It's built in web-browser can download files too, something that Safari doesn't offer - except for PDF format. From within GoodReader you can open those files in any app that supports that type of file. Having said that, though, when a compatible app does open that file it makes a local copy that it works on, so the original copy in GoodReader is left untouched. If you want to store the modified file in GoodReader you have to transfer it back there by some means.

GoodReader can also attach several files to an email and then send them using the iPad's native Mail app - something you can't do from within Mail itself. It also gives you the opportunity to annotate PDF files and save the resulting file so that it can be read on a PC or Mac.

I send all my movies to my iPad using WiFi and GoodReader, from where I can open them in any compatible app on the iPad.

Tim

OP
C

Cfugge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I'll give it a try thanks. BTW what do you use for watching non standard video files (.avi, .mkv) ?

OP
C

Cfugge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I tried and it works. I realised anyway that every time you flag as "open in" in GoodReader the file is actually copied and sent to the designed application. In tis way the space taken on the iPad is twice as much. I thout instead that was possile to siply link the video and the designated app without phisically copying it.

Reaction score
Cfugge said:
Hi, I tried and it works. I realised anyway that every time you flag as "open in" in GoodReader the file is actually copied and sent to the designed application. In tis way the space taken on the iPad is twice as much. I thout instead that was possile to siply link the video and the designated app without phisically copying it.

The linking is only possible with ifile, it therefore requires a jail broken iPad.

Mohamedselim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i think you should try also avplayerhd best video player in my opinion after trying most of video players of ipad

OP
C

Cfugge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed. AV player works great. It misses the streaming though. YXplayer in theory is the most complete but they have to work a lot on playback speed.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Buzz Player HD is a great player and also supports streaming. My favourite video app by quite a bit actually.
If you need to use different video players (not sure why), just store them in GoodReader as Tim suggests and then open them in other apps as you need. While they are copied, the space being used is temporary since you can simply delete it from that video app when you are finished watching.

Most reactions