What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watch Netlix movie on ipad2

Danijoh69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just signed up for Netflix, downloaded the Netflix app, and can now watch movies on my iPad 2! My question is this: when I watch a movie while connected to wi-fi does that come off my data usage? What about when I'm NOT connected via wi-fi, like traveling; does that come off data usage?
Thanks for a reply!

LarryGB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best way to determine this is by checking the top left of your springboard page. Does it have a 3G symbol, or just showing the expanding waves, indicating that you are connected to a wifi spot. 3G will be using data, where as Wifi will be whatever your ISP has agreed to in your contract.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you're on wifi, you're not using 3G, so it doesn't count against your data plan.

When you're using 3G, anything you download or upload counts against your plan. Video consumes a lot of data, so you don't want to watch video on 3G if you have limited data.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
And remember if you're streaming or downloading on at home Wifi, you're still using data that counts against your monthly usage agreement with your ISP.
We have an old (grandfathered) contract that has unlimited usage. Glad of it because with 4 wireless devices constantly on the go under one roof, desk top, Xbox and plain old TV viewing, I fear what a data cap would do to the household budget.

AA

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And remember if you're streaming or downloading on at home Wifi, you're still using data that counts against your monthly usage agreement with your ISP.
We have an old (grandfathered) contract that has unlimited usage. Glad of it because with 4 wireless devices constantly on the go under one roof, desk top, Xbox and plain old TV viewing, I fear what a data cap would do to the household budget.

AA

Good point. I always sign up for plans with high thresholds, and I don't ever think about how much data I use on home wifi. I forget that some plans are much more limited.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good point. I always sign up for plans with high thresholds, and I don't ever think about how much data I use on home wifi. I forget that some plans are much more limited.

I know what you mean. My ISP provides 250 gigs per month before I attract their attention. I've never hit that ceiling.

Most reactions

Latest posts