What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to recommend a great diet app

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just want my eight pack back.. they're there, but covered in about 5lbs of fat right now.

OP
Ellie

Ellie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is really good.

How is it better?

It is for the iPad and free. It even has a barcode checker which I have not used. This is not gimmicky like some of them I spent 8.99 on a nutrition app that is not near as good as this. It is free right now so it won't cost anything to try it. I use the expensive app. For my DH who has diabetes and this one for me. FatSecret is the best. It won't be free long because it is way too good. It has restaurants, all the foods you can save meals etc. It syncs with free online version also. I wish I could get my 8.99 back but that won't happen so other than tracking my DH 's carbs I will probably won't use the expensive one. I hope some tries it. Let me know. ;)

OP
Ellie

Ellie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Want to add that it has lot of restaurants. I spent all that money on my net diary and this so much better. I did use lose it on my iPhone and yes it is probably the best simple app for diet but this one for iPad is so complete.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is for the iPad and free. It even has a barcode checker which I have not used. This is not gimmicky like some of them I spent 8.99 on a nutrition app that is not near as good as this. It is free right now so it won't cost anything to try it. I use the expensive app. For my DH who has diabetes and this one for me. FatSecret is the best. It won't be free long because it is way too good. It has restaurants, all the foods you can save meals etc. It syncs with free online version also. I wish I could get my 8.99 back but that won't happen so other than tracking my DH 's carbs I will probably won't use the expensive one. I hope some tries it. Let me know. ;)
Well the Lose It does all that stuff too...yes it is low res, but it also seems to be a lot more simple.

From the comments I am reading though, there is no functionality off line? Is this true? If so, that's a dealbreaker for me.

Last edited:
OP
Ellie

Ellie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are right Matt. I don't have a problem with that because I don't have an I phone anymore. I do like to plan my meals ahead particularly because we are on specific diets. My DH is diabetic and his VA doc put him on phase 2 of Southbeach. I need to lose to but I like something a little more rigid. I am on protein power. It is easy to plan for both of us. I just add fruit and a little bread to his diet. Other than that we eat same. I carry my pad a lot but if I am going to be away I just email my diet for day and it is a PDF file. That way I can have a copy with me. If I had to add my food on run I would have problem without my iPad and wifi. Just want to tell you uncle Sam is still taking care of the old vets like my DH from Korean war. God Bless All of You

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's some good recipes:

Salsa Chicken Bake

Ingredients (per chicken breast) with calories so you can double, etc if so desired:

- Some sort of no calorie cooking spray (0 calories)
- 1tsp taco seasoning mix (10 calories)
- ~2tsp taco sauce (5 calories)
- 2tbl salsa, picante, or some other similar thing (20 calories)
- 1/8th cup low fat mild cheddar cheese (40 calories)
- boneless skinless chicken breast, 4oz (170 calories once cooked)

Total = 245 calories per 4oz chicken breast (actually probably less since you will see that a lot of the sauce will come off and unless you're licking the pan, aren't going to get all the cheese etc)

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Lightly grease a baking dish with the spray
3. Sprinkle half tsp of taco seasoning on each side of chicken
4. Place in baking dish
5. Put the taco sauce and salsa on top of chicken
6. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes
7. Put shredded cheese on chicken
8. Bake for about 3 more minutes

This tastes so damn good...it's quick to make, and pretty low calories. Like most of our meals we usually pair it with copious amounts of veggies as low calorie fillers, like green beans (try the green beans with season salt on them!), corn, etc.

Low Calorie Chicken Cacciatore Slow Cooker

Ingredients:

- 1lb chicken breast, boneless skinless
- 1tsp salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1tbsp onion powder
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 15oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 4oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2tsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 thyme
- 2tbl chopped pimiento
- (I threw in an extra two tablespoons of salsa and some dried hot pepper spice just for fun)

Total = 226 calories per 1/4 of everything (so a 4oz chicken breast plus a quarter of the sauce mixture)

Toss it in a slow cooker on low for 7-9 hours or in a roasting pan at 350 for 2 hours or so.

If you have calories to spare, it's a little watery so it doesn't go bad with noodles, or if you don't have calories to spare, it goes well mixed with green beans.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like Fatsecret also. It works great. This is one of those apps that I use that I never even thought about when I bought the iPad.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's some good recipes:

Salsa Chicken Bake

Ingredients (per chicken breast) with calories so you can double, etc if so desired:

- Some sort of no calorie cooking spray (0 calories)
- 1tsp taco seasoning mix (10 calories)
- ~2tsp taco sauce (5 calories)
- 2tbl salsa, picante, or some other similar thing (20 calories)
- 1/8th cup low fat mild cheddar cheese (40 calories)
- boneless skinless chicken breast, 4oz (170 calories once cooked)

Total = 245 calories per 4oz chicken breast (actually probably less since you will see that a lot of the sauce will come off and unless you're licking the pan, aren't going to get all the cheese etc)

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Lightly grease a baking dish with the spray
3. Sprinkle half tsp of taco seasoning on each side of chicken
4. Place in baking dish
5. Put the taco sauce and salsa on top of chicken
6. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes
7. Put shredded cheese on chicken
8. Bake for about 3 more minutes

This tastes so damn good...it's quick to make, and pretty low calories. Like most of our meals we usually pair it with copious amounts of veggies as low calorie fillers, like green beans (try the green beans with season salt on them!), corn, etc.

Low Calorie Chicken Cacciatore Slow Cooker

Ingredients:

- 1lb chicken breast, boneless skinless
- 1tsp salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1tbsp onion powder
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 15oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 4oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2tsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 thyme
- 2tbl chopped pimiento
- (I threw in an extra two tablespoons of salsa and some dried hot pepper spice just for fun)

Total = 226 calories per 1/4 of everything (so a 4oz chicken breast plus a quarter of the sauce mixture)

Toss it in a slow cooker on low for 7-9 hours or in a roasting pan at 350 for 2 hours or so.

If you have calories to spare, it's a little watery so it doesn't go bad with noodles, or if you don't have calories to spare, it goes well mixed with green beans.

Trying both of these this weekend -- they better be good -- :p

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha...just remember for both recipes they are cooked values for the chicken. If you are measuring them raw it is less calories. 4oz of raw chicken is only 124 calories...it shrinks when it cooks.

Also, last night we used Hot picante sauce instead of Mild and it was pretty damn spicy, if you like that sort of thing. :D

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha...just remember for both recipes they are cooked values for the chicken. If you are measuring them raw it is less calories. 4oz of raw chicken is only 124 calories...it shrinks when it cooks.

Also, last night we used Hot picante sauce instead of Mild and it was pretty damn spicy, if you like that sort of thing. :D

Love the hot stuff! (At Buffalo Wild Wings I start at the Habenaro and work my way hotter)

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well then I suggest using Hot Picante sauce for the first recipe. :)

cello77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded Lose It! and I LOVE it. This ap does everything that I had been doing in my head for years. One major difference is that I had not calculated my exercise into my caloric intake. LOVE IT!! Thanx Ellie.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the Salsa Chicken Bake with the Hot Picante this weekend ---Thanks Matthew, great recipe!

Most reactions

Latest posts