What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want shortcut for entering entering text

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there anyway to auto type frequently entered text like my email address which I have to type so many different times at the request of various sites that I visit for the first time?

OP
M

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Settings->Safari->Auto Fill->Names and Passwords: On

That should work.

That works for remembering and auto entering on sites that I have already registered on. I am looking for a way to auto enter my email address on sites during initial registration.

Reaction score
Ok, you might also want to turn on
Use Contact Info

Now when you register for a new site, at the top of the keyboard is a button Autofill, when you click on it, it should automatically enter the relevant detail into the currently selected field.

OP
M

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bettafan said:
Auto fill will do this.

I have tried auto fill, but when I tap entry fields in website registration pages, the keyboard comes up but it does not have the auto fill button.

Reaction score
Montereybob said:
I have tried auto fill, but when I tap entry fields in website registration pages, the keyboard comes up but it does not have the auto fill button.

Have you followed my previous advice?

You have to turn the Autofill on, for it to work, this is done under
Settings->Safari->AutoFill

OP
M

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you followed my previous advice?

You have to turn the Autofill on, for it to work, this is done under
Settings->Safari->AutoFill

Yes. Auto fill is activated. The auto fill button shows up when filling out forms but not when I'm in a registration screen. Maybe this is a privacy feature.

Reaction score
Montereybob said:
Yes. Auto fill is activated. The auto fill button shows up when filling out forms but not when I'm in a registration screen. Maybe this is a privacy feature.

When turning on Autofill in the settings, did you choose your own name from Contacts? And does your own contact have all the relevant details, email address, address, etc.?

OP
M

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When turning on Autofill in the settings, did you choose your own name from Contacts? And does your own contact have all the relevant details, email address, address, etc.?

Yes

weamish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about non-Safari uses, like entering my email address and password on apps, or when I want to View Account to check cellular data usage? Is there an autotext app available for this? Thanks!

weamish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, thx. I guess RoboForm wouldn't work for that kind of application?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Each app on the iPad lives in a sandbox (isolated from the others). This means that you can not buy an app that will do things inside another app. Only system services can do this, and Apple has not implemented a system wide forms/password/text expander service at this time.

Jailbreaking can get around this for some things, though I'm not sure there is a tweak for what you want. However, if you've got an iPad 2, and/or have gone beyond iOS 4.3.3, then jailbreaking is not in your immediate future. You'll have to wait for iOS 5 to be jailbroken, and there is no telling when that will be.

Most reactions

Latest posts