What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want a program that transfers files to ipad via filesystem on a schedule

gman3042

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically I have an HTPC with Windows Media Center. I have a program that converts the DVR stuff to a format readable by the IPAD. but i also want to automate the process of transferring it to the ipad. my ipad is jailbroken so i'd want to do this via filesystem if possible. preferably via usb but wifi would work. does anybody have such a program?

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends mostly on what you have installed on the iPad. Do you currently have Windows Networking, Samba, and/or OpenSSH installed?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
why not use iTunes? when you sync the iPad it will automatically transfer what ever you have set to be synced.

iOS also now supports wireless sync (much slower)

Its iTunes or some other 3RD party software since just transferring files is not enough. The iPad does not scan for media, it check its database for available media. iTunes updates the database with whatever new media that gets transferred so that the iPad knows what has been added.

Last edited:

bipsa1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried the iPad Transfer software, though its not scheduled via. the file system or so yet can very easily transfer & backup files from the iPad to system. Once you connect the iPad to system the list of files would be shown and from here you could select the files required to be transferred. So, if you want try this for transfer & file backup with efficiency.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Basically I have an HTPC with Windows Media Center. I have a program that converts the DVR stuff to a format readable by the IPAD. but i also want to automate the process of transferring it to the ipad. my ipad is jailbroken so i'd want to do this via filesystem if possible. preferably via usb but wifi would work. does anybody have such a program?

Transfer to a Dropbox folder on your PC then it's available to your iPad from anywhere you have a data connection

Shylock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dropbox doesnt work so well for me

The problem I have with dropbox is, first of all it works great for what it is supposed to be, that is a place to centrally store files and if you have wifi or 3/4G be able to access them or allow others to access them wherever they are....however...

I cannot seem to put things on my ipad itself with it. at least not for free.....IfI make a video of my kids playing, and want to have it on my IPAD itself so wherever I am, with or without a wifi or 3/4G connection (my IPAD for instance is just the wifi model.) How can I do that without jailbreaking my Ipad? Also would I use the same method to upload mp3's or PDF's? (I like having ebooks around)
I cannot figure a way out, although honestly I have only been trying for like 2 days now.

I never had any of these problems with the Galaxy 10.1 or 8.9 tablet...it is frankly a great tablet that I prefer at the moment, but I am allowing that I just do not know enough about the ipad yet....so hopefully someone will school me hard, because honestly I am not enjoying my ipad experiance so much, and I don't care how pretty the screen is.

Last edited:

Walt Cullop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To get movies on your device you can either email them or use iTunes. Select them and they will be synced.

For PDF's use Goodreader.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Shylock said:
I cannot seem to put things on my ipad itself with it. at least not for free.....IfI make a video of my kids playing, and want to have it on my IPAD itself so wherever I am, with or without a wifi or 3/4G connection (my IPAD for instance is just the wifi model.) How can I do that without jailbreaking my Ipad? Also would I use the same method to upload mp3's or PDF's? (I like having ebooks around)
I cannot figure a way out, although honestly I have only been trying for like 2 days now.

You're right in that Dropbox won't put the files on your iPad. As the above poster suggested iTunes will assist in transferring files to the iPad. This is accomplished by plugging in your iPad, click on the iPad when it appears on the left. Select the Apps tab and scroll down. You will see a list of apps that allow files to be transferred to them. So basically, you would transfer video files to video playback apps (oplayerHD, AVplayerHD, etc.) office files to office apps (Pages, Numbers, QuickofficeHD, etc.) and so on.

Certain things like music, ebooks, etc. can be synced from their own tabs.

Most reactions

Latest posts