What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wannabes Revisited

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After many press releases replete with "mock ups", the iPad Wannabes trickle onto the market. Each release makes it increasingly obvious, that for the near future, none can touch the iPad. Even if some vendor releases a tablet with more features AND a competitive price, it cannot easily overcome the HUGE App hurtle.

Only Android-based tablets appear to have a chance of competing with "Apples" Apps. They do have an "App base." However, that App base is in "mucho disarray." Until and unless an agency is created to regulate those Apps, there can be no guarantee of the quality or safety in trying to utilize said Apps (after the end user figures out how to access them).

This week Kim Komando released an article revealing several significant pitfalls of Android-based Apps. By default, she highlights the genius of Apple's approach to regulating and releasing Apps.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Android will have to do some rewriting in order to truly make use of the 7" screen they are proposing - like Apple did with iOS 3.2 for iPad. Competition drive free market as well as better overall products - at least in a perfect world.

I am not a fan of one body saying yay/nay to an app, however. Yes, you have to deal with some really idiotic apps, but the censorship is just plain bad.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clueless about Censorship

Android will have to do some rewriting in order to truly make use of the 7" screen ...

I am not a fan of one body saying yay/nay to an app, however. Yes, you have to deal with some really idiotic apps, but the censorship is just plain bad.

Google has stated the current versions of Android does not and will not support a tablet. That means one is buying an 'orphaned product' right out the door. If or when Google drops its tablet version of Android in the future no one is going to waste time looking back at the fall of 2010 and the wannabe Android tablets. "If" because Google has indicated they want to move on to Chrome for Tablets not Android. All this Android tablet talk is doing is that it is injuring Android as an OS for current users with more fragmentation that it doesn't need.

Now the crap about Apple being a censor. Apple must watch carefully the code that is used in their mobile products as it can heavily impact battery life which is extremely important to the end user of a mobile product. Other items that sneak into their app store can cause legal or social problems that will heavily impact their platform if not snipped in the bud.
What is so hard to comprehend about that?

People who do not understand are not suitable for running a mufti billion dollar international business. Some think these are best left in the street running whores and crack on their block which is the limit to their business potential.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can not speak for him (he is quite capable of doing that for himself!), but I think the "censorship" deckyon is referring to has nothing to do with battery-eating code. I think it has more to do with Steve Jobs imposing his sense of morality on mobile device users. He promised that the iPad would be "family friendly". I assure you, nothing "sneaks" into the App Store!

I do think it is a bit over the top to put a warning like this on apps like 3rd party web browsers --

warning.jpg

It makes it sound like simply opening your browser will automatically force you to watch unwanted content against your will every time you open a new page! I use a 3rd party browser and NONE of that stuff has ever shown up despite the fact that this type of content supposedly occurs frequently! This type of content only appears when you go looking for it and it is just as likely to appear whether you are using Atomic or Safari!

Of course if one disagrees with Steve Jobs' political, religious or moral views, then they are free to vote with their wallet and not support him or his company, but warnings like this are just, well.... ridiculous (IMHO) and does not solve any social issues at all!

Last edited:
OP
D

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Importance of Apps

In iPad News there's a correction of "66% of iPad user install Apps" to "91% of iPad users install Apps"
I think that highlights the importance of the quantity and quality of Apple's Apps.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In iPad News there's a correction of "66% of iPad user install Apps" to "91% of iPad users install Apps"
I think that highlights the importance of the quantity and quality of Apple's Apps.

No it doesn't - it basically indicates that 91% of people do more with their iPads than the included apps will let them. Check the AppStore reviews and you'll see that all sorts of crappy software has been sold under Apple's benevolently despotic eye. From what I've read, they basically make sure the program will load without crashing (whether or not it will actually run is your problem) and that they're getting their 30%.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing everyone Steve Jobs only has their best interest at heart...;)

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can not speak for him (he is quite capable of doing that for himself!), but I think the "censorship" deckyon is referring to has nothing to do with battery-eating code. I think it has more to do with Steve Jobs imposing his sense of morality on mobile device users. He promised that the iPad would be "family friendly". I assure you, nothing "sneaks" into the App Store!

I do think it is a bit over the top to put a warning like this on apps like 3rd party web browsers --

warning.jpg

It makes it sound like simply opening your browser will automatically force you to watch unwanted content against your will every time you open a new page! I use a 3rd party browser and NONE of that stuff has ever shown up despite the fact that this type of content supposedly occurs frequently! This type of content only appears when you go looking for it and it is just as likely to appear whether you are using Atomic or Safari!

Of course if one disagrees with Steve Jobs' political, religious or moral views, then they are free to vote with their wallet and not support him or his company, but warnings like this are just, well.... ridiculous (IMHO) and does not solve any social issues at all!

I don’t agree with you and i will give you a small example of the stupid society we live today : when the antenna gate appear some hundred of people chase Apple in justice , since you are big and success full you will find in no time people will try to discharge your pocket.

one more things , It’s easy we can compare Android or JB scene where everything is possible … and Apple look about the over the web one of the first complain is the piracy

Steve Jobs want a clean environment for his device that’s clear, maybe it’s also because he try to protect his company from the rapacious ….

Most reactions