What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wallpaper in iOS 7

tkofaith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I try to use one of my pictures for a wallpaper I get to the screen where I am supposed to be able to "Move and Scale." It allows me to move horizontally, but when I attempt to "Scale" it always pops right back to the original size. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Tim

P.S. This has been bugging me since the day they came out with iOS 7, but it's finally annoyed me enough to ask about it. ;)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's broken. You'll have to scale your image manually in your favorite image editor. Bear in mind that in iOS7 wallpapers are larger than the screen size by some fixed dimension so the silly parallax "feature" will work. Dunno what the exact number is, but you'll figure it out through trial and error.

There's also a bug in Photos that snaps the wrong edges to the screen if an image is a bit wider than 4:3, cutting off the top and bottom. I submitted a bug report in September, but there's been no action on it so far. Realistically, these are trivial issues compared with some of iOS7's other problems.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll find apps such as "Wallax" or "Wallpaper Fix" in App Store. They help scaling and positioning your photos so that you can use them as wallpaper.

Last edited:
OP
T

tkofaith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! Hopefully it'll get fixed in the next release.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's not that scaling is broken, it's that the new parallax feature requires a minimum amount of zoom to work, so that there is plenty of off-screen image for the effect. It's possible to zoom into your photo more than the default, but you can't zoom out to make more of the picture visible. Attempt to do so and it springs back to the default.

This, of course, makes it difficult to judge how well a wallpaper will look before we try it. We are used to judging the entire image, not just the center of it.

Do not expect a fix, unless Apple decides to give back a non-parrallax option for wallpaper. The current option of reducing motion stops the parallax effect, but does not change the way the wallpaper is resized to work with the feature.

I've had some success by using an image editing app to paste original images inside a 2448 x 2448 image, and adding some borders. I've also seen the size 2526 x 2526 suggested. The square aspect is best, since it tends to transition best when the iPad goes from portrait to landscape views.

While no expert, I'd be happy to explain the few things I've tried, and the app(s) used; though I expect the apps Johanna mentioned would be far easier, they may not offer as much flexibility. Depending on how badly you want a specific wallpaper to work, it might be worth the effort.

OP
T

tkofaith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not that scaling is broken, it's that the new parallax feature requires a minimum amount of zoom to work, so that there is plenty of off-screen image for the effect. It's possible to zoom into your photo more than the default, but you can't zoom out to make more of the picture visible. Attempt to do so and it springs back to the default.

This, of course, makes it difficult to judge how well a wallpaper will look before we try it. We are used to judging the entire image, not just the center of it.

Do not expect a fix, unless Apple decides to give back a non-parrallax option for wallpaper. The current option of reducing motion stops the parallax effect, but does not change the way the wallpaper is resized to work with the feature.

I've had some success by using an image editing app to paste original images inside a 2448 x 2448 image, and adding some borders. I've also seen the size 2526 x 2526 suggested. The square aspect is best, since it tends to transition best when the iPad goes from portrait to landscape views.

While no expert, I'd be happy to explain the few things I've tried, and the app(s) used; though I expect the apps Johanna mentioned would be far easier, they may not offer as much flexibility. Depending on how badly you want a specific wallpaper to work, it might be worth the effort.

Thanks for filling in the details Twerp'. I did download one of the suggested apps and it worked beautifully. So...if Apple fixes the issue, or if they don't, I can get the background I want.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Excellent. I'll have to give those apps a try myself.

Though I have not seen any evidence of it (probably because I haven't been looking very hard), I really do expect sites to start popping up with wallpapers already optimized for iOS 7.

OP
T

tkofaith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent. I'll have to give those apps a try myself.

Though I have not seen any evidence of it (probably because I haven't been looking very hard), I really do expect sites to start popping up with wallpapers already optimized for iOS 7.

"Wallpaper Fix" is the one I used. I got the free "lite" version. I won't be using it often enough for the ads to be a major annoyance.

Most reactions

Latest posts