What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wait, does ipad 2 have gps?

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a WiFi only Ipad and want to add a GPS receiver to it you do not have to jail break it.

There are 3 options out there but each one cost about 100.00 each. One plug in to the apple connector port, and the other two connect by bluetooth.

I know people running each one of them and they all work really well, They are also WAAS GPS receivers unlike the one that is built in to the Ipad 3G.

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How well does it work if you get a 3G model but don't activate it? If the 3G comes with the GPS shouldn't it work even though not activated?

GPS (Global Positioning System) consists of 36 satellites in orbit around the earth. The orbits are arranged so that 10 or 12 of them are overhead at any given time no matter where you are on the planet.

These satellites transmit position signals down to the earth. GPS equipped iPads have a built-in receiver that is capable of picking up these satellite signals, decoding them and then using the information to compute your current position, altitude, and speed. This system allows a GPS iPad to find its location and display it anywhere on the earth.

Only 3G iPads are equipped with a receiver capable of picking up the GPS satellites in orbit around the earth.

As mentioned the above posts, the WIFI models listen for signals from known WIFI locations on the ground.. They use these local nearby signals to determine their position. WIFI iPads cannot determine their position in remote locations that are out of range of WIFI signals.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, the GPS works on the 3G iPad even if you do not have a plan activated. It will even work if the 3G is turned off, though it may take longer to get an initial location.

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DavidM said:
How well does it work if you get a 3G model but don't activate it? If the 3G comes with the GPS shouldn't it work even though not activated?

It works just fine. Just returned from a 1204 mile road trip never turned on the 3G and the gps would pick up our location without any issue.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wigsajumper said:
It works just fine. Just returned from a 1204 mile road trip never turned on the 3G and the gps would pick up our location without any issue.

To clarify, are you saying you had the 3G setting off, or just didn't activate a data plan?

maildrop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G IPAD2 has a built-in GPS receiver (without enabling 3G) however Wifi IPAD2 has none but it can pick up Wifi routers' signal to determine IPAD2 location.

One can also use a "Bluetooth GPS receiver" (you can buy it from Ebay or Amazon to for around $20) to get WIFI only IPAD2 to have a GPS function. I used my "bluetooth GPS receiver" I purchased 5 years ago to sync with my WIFI IPAD2. It worked beautifully.

Anyway most new smartphone has a built-in GPS receiver. I already have too many GPS enabled devices. :)

Last edited:

Argyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that's good news but my iPad won't recognize my newer gps in Bluetooth for some reason

Qstarz BT-Q818EX

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GlenL said:
To clarify, are you saying you had the 3G setting off, or just didn't activate a data plan?

I am also interested in this.

If I go to Europe and I want to have GPS on my Ipad2 3G, without getting charged for data usage how do I set this? If I switch roaming off will the GPS work via the 3G radio?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that's good news but my iPad won't recognize my newer gps in Bluetooth for some reason

Qstarz BT-Q818EX

You can thank apple for that, unless you jail break it and install another program your iPad will not connect to most blue tooth gps receivers. There are 3 GPS receivers that will work with a none jail broken iPad, but they cost $100.00 each.

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JJK said:
I am also interested in this.

If I go to Europe and I want to have GPS on my Ipad2 3G, without getting charged for data usage how do I set this? If I switch roaming off will the GPS work via the 3G radio?

That is correct cell data is turned off (turned it off within 15 minutes of using the iPad 2 for the first time). I have never activated a data plan. The iPad 2 is not connected to another gps. Gps worked great used it a few times when geocaching along the way.

The GPS is in the phone circuitry BUT is not dependent on its use. When the cell data is turned off there is still power going to that circuitry. The GPS will use the phone circuitry to triangulate the signal to decrease the amount of time needed to acquire an accurate location but that on is an assist not a requirement.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wigsajumper said:
That is correct cell data is turned off (turned it off within 15 minutes of using the iPad 2 for the first time). I have never activated a data plan. The iPad 2 is not connected to another gps. Gps worked great used it a few times when geocaching along the way.

The GPS is in the phone circuitry BUT is not dependent on its use. When the cell data is turned off there is still power going to that circuitry. The GPS will use the phone circuitry to triangulate the signal to decrease the amount of time needed to acquire an accurate location but that on is an assist not a requirement.

But you still need to have the maps installed on your Ipad? Otherwise you would just get a blue dot on a blank screen, correct?

Most reactions

Latest posts