VPN?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Ed1944, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Quick question. Can A. VPN be used with an iPad, and is it recommended for safety when doing financial transactions online? I Already know antivirus isn’t needed. Thanks in advance, Ed

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Yes, and yes. The second yes is mostly if you use public wi-fi a lot.

You can either configure the VPN manually in Settings > General > VPN, or you can browse the App Store for a more convenient solution, with a variety of tracking tools and features.

Since I almost never use pubic wi-fi, I don’t use a VPN, so that’s about the extent of my knowledge.

3. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, Twerpoet. I spoke to a friend who owns a Mac repair business, but also knowledgeable on iPads. He claims a VPN is unnecessary on iPadOS. He says virtually all data sent from an iPad, even when browsing, is encrypted. I’m usually on public WiFi, so I’ve been using a VPN on my Windows laptop for protection. Even considering what my friend said, I just may install a VPN on my iPad since I usually do online banking. I’m gradually getting used to the differences between Windows and iPadOS.:)

#3 Ed1944, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  4. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    (Well, I went ahead and installed Proton VPN (same one I use on my PC). Even though my tech friend said it was unnecessary, I feel better using it. ;)

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Public Wi-Fi is subject to imposter and man-in-the-middle attacks. While much of what iPads do is encrypted, and almost all financial sites are HTTPS (secure sites) the ability to intercept traffic can yield indirect information that leads hackers to other exploits. To be extra careful, a VPN is a good idea, and almost all security experts will recommend them for sensitive transactions on open networks. Even on iPads. Yes, they are more secure than your run of the mill computer, but that’s not the same as being perfectly secure.

It is a matter of risk assessment. You weight how sensitive the data is, how tempting a target you are, and what your exposure is. Financial data on a public wi-fi network (without VPN) rates relatively high on two out of three of those categories. If you are rich or otherwise notorious, you rank on all three.

6. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Good info, twerppoet. I'm glad I installed the VPN, and feel safer with it as I do with my Windows PC. Ive used a VPN for years and never had anything bad happen. o_O