What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volume icon stuck

Dicksnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Volume icon

Just had my iPad replaced today. I had read some of the other posts in the Apple forums and took the URL with me. As I suspected, as soon as the tech looked at the iPad he said it was dropped and there was a dent by the volume control. Since you have to look really hard to see it, I told him it was interesting he knew exactly where to look. I then gave him the URL and asked him why so many people are dropping their iPads in exactly the same place, why there is no visible mark to indicate dropping, and why the people who posted pictures all looked identical. The key for me was when a few people indicated they were told that Apple had a batch of defective cases which made their way to iPads sold to customers. Don't let them charge you, ask for a supervisor and take a couple of url's, particularly from the Apple support forums in with you and ask them the same questions I did. Apparently some of the Apple stores are replacing them, no questions asked, and others are like mine.

Jburnham96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just had my iPad replaced today. I had read some of the other posts in the Apple forums and took the URL with me. As I suspected, as soon as the tech looked at the iPad he said it was dropped and there was a dent by the volume control. Since you have to look really hard to see it, I told him it was interesting he knew exactly where to look. I then gave him the URL and asked him why so many people are dropping their iPads in exactly the same place, why there is no visible mark to indicate dropping, and why the people who posted pictures all looked identical. The key for me was when a few people indicated they were told that Apple had a batch of defective cases which made their way to iPads sold to customers. Don't let them charge you, ask for a supervisor and take a couple of url's, particularly from the Apple support forums in with you and ask them the same questions I did. Apparently some of the Apple stores are replacing them, no questions asked, and others are like mine.

Hi, I am in the exact situation as you but I can't find any info on defective iPad cases anywhere! Could you provide me with the URL's so I can take this back to Apple?
Thanks so much! :)

captainhottub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PLEASE POST THE URL's!

I'm almost ready to drill into the volume button and pull it out or jailbreak my iPad2.
I really need a solution, beyond paying Apple repair $350.

Have you found a permanant DIY repair method? Or, have you successfully jailbroken to install the "Volume Button Disable" app from Cydia?

Sincerely,
CaptainHottub

P.S. It's my volume-up button, and subsequent on-screen volume icon, that is stuck. The slightest bump, rotation, or even picking up the iPad2 jacks the volume to Max, as if I were pressing the volume-up-button.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are several other threads where member have (carefully) bent the thin strip of metal between the screen and switch back into place, and fixed their volume buttons. If that is where your problem lies. Be patient and careful not to exert excessive pressure to either the screen or the buttons themselves.

Dicksnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just googled it, and found many sites referencing the problem. I didn't save the info. The URL I took in was from Apple's support site. There were even pictures and they all looked the same. The dent is very hard to see, it is right in the middle of the volume control (it almost looks like it was put there on purpose so the user could feel it with his/her finger while running your finger across the bottom). In fact, you won't even see the "dent" until you read about it in a post, and you specifically look for it, since it is so small. That's why I asked the supervisor why, if all those people dropped their iPads, the iPads all hit the exact same location, causing the same exact dent. This is clearly a manufacturing defect. Everyone also had the same issue, the iPad worked OK for some period of time. Customers shouldn't have to start deface their iPads to correct a problem Apple sold them. Fortunately, for some customers, their local Apple store was forthright and just replaced the units, but apparently a large number of Apple stores want the customers to carry the burden of replacing the units. As a side note, they don't repair iPads, you have to replace it.

Jburnham96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Replacement

Unfortunately I can't provide you with the URL'S as I never got them either however I can tell you what happened to my iPad.

I took it into an Apple store (Metro Centre, Gateshead, U.K) and the 'genius' said it would cost £200 for a replacement but I didn't have the money then. The iPad I have is iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB.

So I came back a week later with the money but this time we saw a different 'genius' - this one had a brain. He took a look at it and thanked us for being honest and said he would replace for free - he said that loads of iPad's dent in the exact same place.

Here is the email I received shorty after telling me the outcome:

Issue: Volume buttons do not function. Unit has a minor dent in enclosure however may not be related to the issue, so will replace as a good will gesture.

So if your local Apple store won't fix it - go to another one. It depends on the employee that you see.

Most reactions

Latest posts