What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volume icon stuck

crowlck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The volume icon is in the middle of my screen and I cannot get rid of it. Tried rebooting but no luck.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been a few recent posts about volume control issues. Make sure the volume rocker switch isn't physically stuck. Otherwise you may have an actual hardware (internal) issue, and a trip to Apple may be in your future.

HJM4MSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having this same issue. I have seen a couple of threads on Apple and Macrumors about people dropping their iPads and this issue, but this is the first without dropping.

I did not drop mine or do anything else unusual. There are no dents or even scratches on my case. I keep itin a leather book style cover all the time and use a padded case when I take it anywhere.

It was working perfectly, had it since May. Now suddenly the up volume button does not function. Down works fine. I went to Settings first and found that though I hadn't changed it, the selection for physical volume buttons was set to no. I turned it back to yes, hoping it would solve the issue, but no luck.

I rebooted and then the volume was back at full, but the icon would not fade from the screen. When I pushed up, nothing happened. When I used the mute slider, the icon flashed the mute icon, but wouldn't stay muted and the icon remained. When I pushed down, it worked as usual and the icon finally faded, but up won't bring it back and doesn't increase the volume.

I did another reset with both the power and select button (instead of just the power button). Again, when it came back on, the volume icon appeared immediately (it doesn't normally do this) and raised itself from all the way down to all the way up and the icon "stuck" there on the screen no matter what I was using, such as Safari, email, FB app, etc. the only thing that made it disappear, other than using the physical down button, was going into the Sounds section of Settings. Once I exited Sounds though, the icon reappeared and remained stuck until I pushed the physical volume down button.

Since there is not a slide volume available on everything, this is a huge issue. I will probably end up at the genius bar, but I HATE having to reload all my stuff. Apple has great service, but I dislike that they swap you out, sometimes with loss of data, and there is never any public acknowledgement of known issues or fixes announced.

Sorry for the rant. If anyone happens to have a suggestion for a trick that might reset this weirdness, I would love to hear it. Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like hardware. Since it is not due to accidental damage, if you are still within your first year of ownership (as you must be with an iPad 2) it should be covered under Apple's standard warrantee. You have this no matter where you bought the iPad from.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
crowlck said:
The volume icon is in the middle of my screen and I cannot get rid of it. Tried rebooting but no luck.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

HJM4MSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very bizarre. I tried all sorts of things to get my volume to work and found additional weirdness with my mute slide button. Finally, I backed it up to both iCloud and my Mac and I erased it and started from scratch. No dice.

So, I made a Genius Bar appointment. Frustratingly, when I got there, the up volume worked. I was flabberasted. Thankfully, my boyfriend was there to lend some credibility as the tech looked at me. He asked some questions and I told him all of the weird things that had been happening. As I suspected originally, they swapped it out.

Because I had backed up to iCloud, I began to set up the new iPad immediately. I told it to restore from iCloud. Oddly, the most recent iCloud backup listed was from the night before, not the one I did the day I went to the Apple Store. It made no difference, but I thought it odd. When I got home, I downloaded all of my music again. However, the movies I had saved won't download from iTunes. <sigh>

The movie was downloaded way before the iCloud session that was missing and before the one that popped up when I restored from backup. ITunes keeps giving me a message that says that the items (4-part movie) cannot be downloaded and to see iTunes for more info. There is no more info.

I rarely have issues these days. That is the whole reason I switched to Apple in the first place because I was just exhausted from trying to fix things that shouldn't have been wrong. I have an email message into iTunes help, but it's frustrating since somehow I knew there would be an issue with reloading everything.

geriwag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the bluetooth keyboard. Turning it off solved the problem. Maybe now you can tell me which function
key I am pressing accidentally to make the volume icon appear.
the minute I turned on my bluetooth keyboard to rely to you, the icon reappeared.

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has a small volume icon on it. There are three altogether. One increase volume. One decreases. And the last mutes/unmutes. They are found at the top right of the apple Bluetooth keyboard.

Proud owner of a 32GB wifi iPad2 iOS5.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the bluetooth keyboard. Turning it off solved the problem. Maybe now you can tell me which function
key I am pressing accidentally to make the volume icon appear.
the minute I turned on my bluetooth keyboard to rely to you, the icon reappeared.

They should be he F10 (Mute), F11 (Volume Down), and F12 (Volume Up). If it's not an Apple keyboard the volume control symbols may be small (secondary) function icons, or not there are all. The Mute function on the keyboard is not the same as Mute on the iPad. It will turn off all sound (Volume to zero), not just the system sounds.

Last edited:

Sceptic49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have disconnected my keyboard and turned Bluetooth off but the icon is still there- any more suggestions, please?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You might want to be a bit more descriptive, just so I'm certain we are talking about the same thing.

Anyway, if we are talking about the speaker icon that appears int he middle of the screen when you change volume, then play with the volume up/down switch and see what happens.

Also, try restarting or reseting the iPad.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.
and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

backintime1991

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I am having a problem with my volume button

Yesterday I was getting out of my car and my IPad 2 slipped off my seat and fell on the plastic on my floor board and at first I did it think anything was wrong untill I opened up my iPad and found that there is a small dent right where the volume rocker is and now the sound is turned all the way down and the icon for volume is stuck on the screen. I do have a case that it was in does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? I have tried to restart it a bunch of times and I could live if icon was not on the screen but it is really annoying because I need it to watch movies for some of my classes

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like the dent is holding down the volume down button. The only way to fix that would be to un-dent the iPad. If you are lucky the volume switch itself is not damaged and the iPad will work as normal. Without seining exactly what is happening I won't risk any how-to suggestions. Try one of your more mechanically inclined (and very very reliable) friends, or better yet a local repair shop.

Before you do that, it won't hurt to try the usual fixes, if you have not already.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Most reactions

Latest posts