volume control

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by tina4201, Jul 9, 2012.

1. tina4201

tina4201
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone else finds the volume control counterintuitive. i am constantly turning volume down when I think I'm turning it up and vice-versa. Every audio device I own (and I have a lot) increases gain by turning or initiating movement to the left and decreases gain going to the right. The ipad is the opposite. If I push on the right side of the button for volume control it increases volume and pushing left side decreases it.

2. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    It just depends on how you hold the ipad, whether you need to adjust the volume left or right. Essentially you can hold the iPad in any orientation, so for some positions, the volume may work opposite what you are used to. I guess Apple have oriented the volume to work up and down with the home button at the bottom.

3. tina4201

tina4201
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I just realized I have the scenario backwards, going clockwise should increase gain, counterclockwise should decrease. So hitting button on right side should increase, tapping on left side should decrease, but ipad is opposite.

As far as changing the orientation, doesn't work for me as I use it in landscape mode 99% of the time and want the volume control accessible on the top.

4. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, it really depends on orientation - so it's half and half. For example, I, too, keep my iPad in landscape. But, my Home button is to the left, which puts my volume controls on the bottom. This makes them work "properly" for me - right is to increase volume, while left is decrease.

So, yeah, for half the time, the buttons will be orientated "wrong." That's one of the compromises for having a device that can be viewed in 4 different ways. Two views will always have the buttons different...

Marilyn