What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volume button mutes the sound completely with one push only! Please Help

chbisio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a Jailbroken iPad1 with all the latest updates from Cydia for Springboard, SBSettings, etc.
Suddenly the volume rocker down button goes completely down when pushing it down, like the default behaviour when you
keep pushing the button down for muting, but with just one quick push on the button, the weird thing is that
if i restart the device, the first two pushes down work perfect and are shown on the screen overlay, but at the third
push down it goes all the way down and mutes the device. The up volume button works perfect everytime but from then on,
the down button only mutes the device. This is driving me crazy to fix, I know it's jailbreak related or with a problematic update
for a Cydia App because if i enter Safe Mode the volume button behaviour is normal (the down volume button works as expected every time).
Also I disabled every mobilesubstrate tweak and it keeps happening... I will appreciate any help on this.

Thanks in advance,
Carlos.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I tried what you described. And, I find I am able to exactly replicate your problem - with no fix that I know of either! So now, my iPad is acting weird, also! Well, it's probably been acting weird for a while - now I just know about it. Thanks for that ... I think. :D

All I've done is like you ... I've installed the updates that are mainly being updated for compatibility with iOS5. So, what I'm thinking is that whatever "they" have done to the various tweaks you and I have on our iPads to make them compatible with iOS5 makes it act a bit strange on iOS 4.3.3. Well, on my 4.3.3-running iPad (you didn't say what version you are running).

With all that said, all we can do is either (1) ignore the problem and hope another one - even worse - doesn't manifest while we're waiting to move up to iOS5 or (2) move on up to iOS 5 and do a tethered jailbreak.

Not so good choices, yeah? But, that's all I've got ... and what I'm now faced with. Sorry.

Marilyn

P.S. I also have a weird reset problem - in that it takes a couple of resets plus a respring (sometimes) to get my iPad1 to look/behave properly. Again, I've been putting that down to the iOS5 upgrade tweaks, as I've not added a new tweak in ages...

P.P.S. Oh, this is just great! Now that you've mentioned it, and I've discovered it, it's going to bother the heck out of me. So, now to make my decision - go up to iOS5 with a tethered jailbreak or not... Sigh. Again, thanks! :p

P.P.S. So, anyone who's gotten this far and are running an iOS5 tethered jail break on the iPad1 ... how is it? Pretty stable? Cause 4.3.3 is (well, was) and I'd like the same on iOS5...

OP
C

chbisio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn, your post is informative and it indicates that our problem is a result of a recent update for iOS5 compatibility. Personally, I'm satisfied with iOS4.3 and will not upgrade. But this bug is quite a pain in the *ss...
If you or anyone reading this knows where we can notify the jailbreak community developers about this so they can fix it, it should be great.
I searched for a forum where we can post bugs regarding cydia apps but found none.

OP
C

chbisio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also It could help to be able in Cydia to install a previous version of a cydia tweak, anyone knows if its possible?

Thanks, in advance,
Carlos.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just adding a line to say that I've moved this post over to the Hacking Section ... which is what I should have done when I first posted.

We now return you to your regular programming... :D

Marilyn

rday89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just noticed this problem last night too - for the life of me I can't remember what I've updated recently but I'm running jailbroken 4.3.3 iPad 2 .

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try resetting all the Activator actions to default in the activator settings. I had a few problems with gestures not working as expected after the upgrade, and this fixed it, and I can confirm that my iPad1 on 5.0 is not displaying this behaviour... :)

Good luck.

PS - Nor is my iPad2 on 4.3.3

code101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem and can confirm that resetting the Activator settings to the default settings fixed it.

*edit* Well I spoke too soon. The problem is back. The solution lasted until I turned the volume down a couple of times then came back. I think and app or Cydia app may be the problem. Perhaps it's an app that was updated to be iOS 5 compatible but messed up 4.3.1.

Last edited:

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it happened to my vol. control as well ... ipad2 3G-wifi jailbreak at 4.3.3 .. i just ignored it .. cydia has a bunch of updates recently which made the previous vers acting "differently"' .. most noteable in the winterboards .. some i wished i did not upgrade

OP
C

chbisio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We need to tell this to the Cydia dev community, so they can fix it soon, nobody knows where or what is the way to post bugs?

code101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have no idea which Cydia updates caused this (if the updates were the cause). Or even if it's some legit app that is now "updated for iOS5 ready".

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For now, I'm just treating this as a real easy way to mute the iPad. This way, I can pretend it's a feature. :D

I'm not quite ready to move up to iOS 5 and I sure don't want to have to go through all my tweaks to find out which one is the cause.

YMMV.

Marilyn

OP
C

chbisio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is for sure a cydia tweak because if you go into safe mode (removes the jailbreak functionality) the volume button behaviour is normal, I guess its winterboard or springboard with the os5 compatibility that generated this bug.

Most reactions

Latest posts