What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volume button doesn't mute

BC1973

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all. First post here. First iPad. Anyhow, just a quick question really. My ipad2 doesn't mute when the volume is turned right down. Is this normal? I use the switch to lock the orientation and not as mute.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a couple of issues here.

(1) The mute control - be it the switch or multi-task bar control - only mutes system sounds - i.e. new email etc - it does not mute other audio - say music or videos

(2) The volume control works separately for headphones and speaker. So, if you turn the volume all the way down for the headphones and then unplug them, the iPad 'remembers' the previously set speaker volume and uses that. If you want to turn the speakers down, you have to do that as a separate operation.

Tim

OP
BC1973

BC1973

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy response. My issue is that when I turn the volume control way down so no dots are present it still plays new mail, mail sent etc. sounds. I haven't tried headphones yet.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy response. My issue is that when I turn the volume control way down so no dots are present it still plays new mail, mail sent etc. sounds. I haven't tried headphones yet.

But do you have Mute activated?

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, another thing to try - completely power the iPad down rather than simply putting to Sleep. This fixes a lot of unexplained 'problems'

Tim

OP
BC1973

BC1973

iPF Noob
Reaction score

But do you have Mute activated?

Tim

How do you mean? I have the mute switch set to orientation lock. What I need to know is if it's 'normal' for the iPad to still play system sounds like sent mail when the volume is turned down full. I know I can mute everything by setting the toggle switch to mute in settings but I prefer to have the orientation locked.

Reaction score
BC1973 said:
How do you mean? I have the mute switch set to orientation lock. What I need to know is if it's 'normal' for the iPad to still play system sounds like sent mail when the volume is turned down full. I know I can mute everything by setting the toggle switch to mute in settings but I prefer to have the orientation locked.

That behavior is normal, because alerts are independent of the system volume. So even if you have the volume turned down to zero, will incoming mails, etc. make a sound. It is possible to change this, so that alerts also depent on the current set volume. This can be done under Settings->General->Sounds->Change with Buttons: On

What Tim was referring too is, that even when you have the side-switch set to orientation lock, you can mute the device by pressing the homebutton twice (to open the multitaskbar), scroll left and select the volume key on the left.

OP
BC1973

BC1973

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonderful. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks guys.

rus1499

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i also noticed in the help guide if you hold the volume button in the middle for 2 seconds that it will mute that way.

Most reactions

Latest posts