What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voice Control on JB Ipad 2 running 6.1.2

Bullpen7979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings all;

Just made the jump to an iphone5 after having been an android guy for about 5 years. Jailbroken about five minutes after I got home.

Getting used to it. Some things better, some not quite what I would prefer just yet...but the form factor is nicer since it seems everything android in the phone department is approaching tablet.

Anyway, I am finding that the voice control on iphone is smoother than on android. So, yesterday morning I upgraded my ipad to 6.1.2 and re broke it.

I went looking to see how I could add native voice control, and came across this thread. Granted, it applies to an OS that several iterations earlier, but
can someone advise me if editing K48AP.plist in the /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app directory is still a viable procedure?

And for all I know, there might well be another way to do it, in which case I would welcome a hint in the right direction. I know about Dragon; looking to drop the handy microphone key into my messaging and email app directly, if that's possible. I looked, found a google link or two, but never came to a specific conclusion. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, listers!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused - as I think Siri will do everything you want. You can use it to dictate your texts and emails (among other things), use it to set reminders or calendar events or use Siri to launch apps.

What other things (voice control-wise) do you need Siri to do? There are tweaks out there (on Cydia), but we'd need to know what, specifically, you want Siri to do (over and above the stock things) in order to help further.

In other words, the modification you mentioned is very old and may have very well been "overcome by events" (OBE).

Marilyn

OP
B

Bullpen7979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may have confused the issue by mentioning the iPhone conversion.

I have an ipad 2 and I'd like to see a microphone key on the keyboard so I can speak, rather than type in apps like
Messaging, email, forum apps, etc.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I may have confused the issue by mentioning the iPhone conversion.

I have an ipad 2 and I'd like to see a microphone key on the keyboard so I can speak, rather than type in apps like
Messaging, email, forum apps, etc.

Unfortunately, Apple chose not to include the dictation features for the iPad2, and there are no hacks to enable it via jailbreaking AFAIK. The options are not included in the iPad2 IOS, and therefore cannot be magically enabled via a simple hack like the one you reference above. It would need a whole "package" for dictation to be developed, and I'm not convinced you should hold out too much hope for that....

Keep saving those pennies for an upgrade to your device!

Sorry it's not more encouraging news :(

OP
B

Bullpen7979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you folks make of the link I posted? It seems pretty clear that a number people verified this as a working hack. Unfortunately, the thread participants did not specifically mention hardware. I have tried dragon, and it works. Just looking for a little better integration rather than -open program, speak , copy, switch program, paste.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought that I did say the hack you pointed to above would not work, and explained why.

"Voice Control" which your very old post refers to WAS included in the operating system and could therefore be activated by changing the configuration of the device. That feature was subsequently REMOVED.

It is now covered by 2 features. Dictation and Siri. Neither of these is included within the operating system of an iPad2. It's not that they are there and switched off. They are not included. So no amount of simply hacking will enable them.

Hope that clarifies.

OP
B

Bullpen7979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gotcha. Sorry for the misunderstanding. My thought would be that if apple included it in what I surmise was the original model, then taking features away from the "upgraded" device would not seem to make a lot of sense. Edit. Seems to be an Os issue and not a device issue. I guess I don't see removing such a handy feature (provided it works) from the feature set doesn't seem much like progress. Unless they needed to reinclude it in subsequent models to make the sales projections.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts