What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VLC on iPad?

Monoimus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought VLC on my iPhone 4 before it was removed from the store. Will I be able to use it when I buy a iPad 2? I don't have the first iPad, so I haven't tried it. When I get my new iPad the plan was to put in the security copy from my iPhone 4. That's the way you do it, right? If VLC don't work, are there other options for playing avi and such without converting (boring). Don't want to jailbreak..

iKarnt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.adapt.com.au
Ahh, a excellent question. Due to the fact I only have the 16gb iPad I model, I am limited to what films I can put on the device, so I started askig the same question. How to stream to my iPad from a pc or server, or a NAS box.
You have two options.

VLCStreamer & AirVideo.

VLCStreamer is a excellent apps, you install the vlcstreamer helper on your video storerage system, (in my case I use a apple x server) and your set. Open vlsctreamer app on iPad and you will see you streaming server - then its a matter of navigating around until you locate your movies, tv shows etc. Press play. Depending on your network speed, and processing power of the server, you can expect any media to begin streaming in about 30 seconds.

Option two is airvideo
This app is amazing, it uses your computer or server as a video converting streamer, similar to vlcstreamer, air video allows you to navigate to directories for media files in a similar way, however instead of playing the file on the server and sending your the feed, it converts on the fly, your iPad downloads the movie converted into mp4 only seconds before you watch that part.

Vlcstreamer is free, and will ask for a donation, well worth any donation given.
Airvideo comes as a lite version and a full version for $4.99 on the app store. The lite version hinders your file navigation only providing a small view of the available files.

Somwith 3 gb of free space on my iPad I can have thousands of media files available to me in a jiffy. Hope this helps you

Practically seamless both options are the best way to stream media to your iPad with the need to spend hundreds of dollars on offical apple systems such as apple tv.

OP
M

Monoimus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I will definately use airvideo whenever I can. However, my situation is kind of special. I am on the move a lot, and I don't want my computer at home running when I travel. Also, don't always have access to wifi on the bus, plane, boat etc. That's why I need to watch my series from the iPad. Currently I use my iPhone for that, using the VLC app (love the app - I am one of the lucky ones that got a hold of it before it disappeared). I am just curious if I can use the same VLC app on the iPad... And by the way, can I just put in the security copy from IPhone 4 and see which apps work?

jeans94621

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also purchased the vlc app on my iphone 4. When I bought my IPad I synced it to the same itunes account as my phone and vlc transferred right over to the IPad. All the files and everything. Works perfectly. Don't you love our IOS devices.:p

OP
M

Monoimus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeppz I do ;) originally I am an atheist, but I feel the spirit coming and I see the light...and suddenly I believe in the AppleGod!

jonywalker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also purchased the vlc app on my iphone 4. When I bought my IPad I synced it to the same itunes account as my phone and vlc transferred right over to the IPad. All the files and everything. Works perfectly. Don't you love our IOS devices.:p

Unfortunately, the VLC player is no more available inside the apple app store, but rather frome videolan home. I uploaded the package via itunes to ipad apps for synchronization, but the installion failed. I use the iPad1 with iOS5 operation system. Does anyone have idea? Thanks

jony

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have beat the trying to find the best streamer to death for my own knowledge, here's what I have come up with. From the PC I use both TVersity and PS3 Media Streamer, these both stream .avi's with little to no impact on the CPU, I have found Airvideo to be very CPU intensive when transcoding. I have also found that TVersity allows the .MP4 files to stream with little no CPU useage. On the iPad I use a some different players, as each handle different files differently. I use Mediaconnect with Flex player and AIrAV(all free apps) for my .avi's and .MP4's Good Player is a good paid app, but I have found the free AirAV plays the streams better(my opinion) so I use it more. To stream 720p .mkv files flawlessly, I use StreamToMe(paid app, well worth the $$)with it's dedicated server on the PC, it streams the .mkv's great with little to no impact on the CPU and some .MP4's but is more picky with .MP4 files. Hope this helps ya.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

dave_bass5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find AVPlayerHD to work great for both streaming and playing most files straight of my iPad. I also have VLC and although its great on my PC its a bit outdated now (obviously)

Very old thread though, im sure the OP is sorted by now.

Valkrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ace Player works very well to, it is free and it streams from my NAS perfectly

Most reactions

Latest posts