What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virus vulneralbility

jwwphoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why are Apple not currently plagued by virus hackers? Will the bad guy eventually turn their attn to iPads?

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple took the decision to 'sandbox' the programs (apps) in the iPad. This means that apps have only a very limited ability to interact - and this interaction is *absolutely* controlled by the operating system (iOS). So if you tried to write a 'virus' program for the iPad it would have no effect, because it couldn't interact with any other program or the operating system.

That, inevitably, has other consequences and places restrictions on what programs can do. In Windows, for example, applications (programs) can interact and this can be very useful. So some (clever) programmers found a way to 'jail break' the iPad and remove this restriction (effectively 'jailbreaking' means your iPad can 'run' non-Apple approved apps from the Cydia website, where they make such non-approved apps available). They can now run 'unauthorised' apps on the iPad that 'take advantage' of the removal of this restriction. The downside - technically a 'jail broken' iPad could be vunerable to viruses.

But don't worry - a 'regular' (non jail broken) iPad is not vunerable to any 'viruses' that a deviant programmer might write to 'infect' a jail broken iPad. So your IT manager need have no worries - if your iPads are not 'jailbroken' they are absolutely safe from viruses.

Basically, if you accept the restrictions that Apple place on your iPad and don't jail break, you're completely safe - a virus cannot 'infect' you.

Additionally, any 'app' that a normal (non-jail broken) iPad can download will have been thoroughly checked and approved by Apple, so could not contain any malevolent code...

OK - I'll get 'hacked' by the iPad 'jail breakers' - sorry for the 'pun' but, basically, you're safe.

Apple have a number of 'white papers' and other documents on their web site that address this issue if you'd like the links...

Tim

OP
J

jwwphoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, we just bought our second IPad 2, our netbooks have been infected more than once by viruses.... Just the net books, desktop never has, but has a different virus defender on it.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using iPF

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
technically a 'jail broken' iPad could be vunerable to viruses.

Tim

Really? This is the first I have heard this.

Have a look here for some comments.....

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/8763-why-not-jailbreak-why-you-should-jb.html

Tim
PS - but I know nothing about JB

Well ~ I skimmed through a few posts, certainly not all 40 or so ~ and I didn't see anything about JB can cause viruses.

Did I miss it?:(

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Developers whether be Apple app makers or Cydia app makers use the same Apple developers tools to make them. Therefore follow the same rules as applies to "Sandboxing" apps. Do Cydia apps cause instability problems, yes, especially when people don't pay attention to the iOS compatibility warnings. Do Apple apps cause instabilities, YES. Apps can interact with each other in many ways, so many ways that it is impossible for Apple or anyone else to test for all of the possible permutations that could happen with the hundred of thousands of apps out there. Developers/Programers aren't perfect, they make mistakes, whether iOS, app or hacker, they all do.

Have the bad guys turned their attention to iOS, yes, have they been successful, yes but, not so much, but they eventually will be successfull, at least till apple plugs their exploit. The PDF exploit that Apple just plugged with 4.3.4, was plugged in the jailbreak community before Apple plugged it. Interesting. Apple wages a small war with jailbreak community, but let us face facts, jailbreakers are Apples beta test program and it doesn't cost them a thing. Jailbreak developers develop new apps and spend weeks or months updating them and honing them, and if they are successful, Apple appropriates them and puts them into the latest iOS update. Other words, your are about as likely to have instabilities with Apple app as with jailbreak apps, but jailbreak developers usually respond quicker.

Forgive Tim, his mother must have told him when he was a little boy, that if he didn't behave the "hackers" would get him. He can't help being afraid of hackers.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive Tim, his mother must have told him when he was a little boy, that if he didn't behave the "hackers" would get him. He can't help being afraid of hackers.

Yes - and the 'bogeymen' too... :(

I'm just naturally a nervous guy!!

Thanks for the explanation...much appreciated....

Now I've got to think of some other way to annoy Marie.....:D

Tim

Most reactions