What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

View files on PC

tweeker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way/app to view files on the iPad from a PC without actually copying them to the iPad. This would be from a Windows machine.

For example... Let's say you had a bunch of large pdf files, or in my case cbz files for a comic book, that you wanted to view on your iPad. Yet you don;t have a whole lot of space on your iPad... Would there be anyway to view these files without actually copying them to the iPad itself and taking up space?

Hope this makes sense....Thanks a lot for any help. Very much appreciated.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course - it's easy. You simply use a remote desktop program that allows you to access your PC from your iPad. Most Members use Splashtop - there's a free limited-viewing-time version available so you can try-before-you-buy - it allows you to access your PC or Mac from the iPad, so you could fire up Adobe Reader on the PC to view those large PDF files. Splashtop can access your PC from anywhere in the world - as long as both are connected to the Internet - and it transfer audio as well.

Tim

OP
T

tweeker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks for the quick response.

I was kind of looking for something that would let me view it through an APP on the iPad.

Like for example... If I had a file stored on the computer I wanted to use in an APP on my iPad but didn't want to copy it onto the iPad, could i achieve this?

I was aware, although not of the app you mentioned, of the remote desktop possibility, but just trying to use a specific app to view these comic book files that is on the iPad without actually copying it to the iPad itself permanently.

Does this make any sense?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know what you're trying to say, I think, but it's not possible really as far as I am aware and the remote desktop is the closest you're going to get. After all, when using such a program you don't actually copy the file to the iPad, you are viewing it through an app on the iPad but using a program on the PC to interpret it.

Tim

OP
T

tweeker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks a lot.

Yeah, I see what you are saying...

The only thing I am thinking of is that in my case, with the comic book scenario, i wanted to view it in Portrait mode. The PC screen is widescreen, so I am worried if I use remote desktop (buy that app) and view it this way there would be no way to view it in portrait. Where as on the iPad i of course can do this. But again I don't want with the size of these files to have them permanently stored on the iPad.

What do you think about this? Would there be a way that this could somehow happen with the remote desktop app?

Thanks for your time Tim.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Splashtop on my iPad and I've just tried this. If you turn the iPad into portrait mode, Splashtop then rotates the PC screen and shows the (wide) PC screen in portrait mode. Of course, the wide screen doesn't fit the entire screen, so it's squeezed up into the top. But the iPad pinch-zoom feature works just fine so it's possible to resize the screen to view a document that's inherently portrait on the PC so that it fills the screen in portrait mode on the iPad.

That's the good news - the bad news is the resolution suffers somewhat because Splashtop is simply zooming in on the PC screen and not interpreting the underlying document.

As I said, there's a free limited viewing time (5 minutes per session) version available so give it a try.

Tim

OP
T

tweeker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks a lot Tim. I truly appreciate it.

Thanks a ton for the insight! I will give it a shot.

Have a great night!

In addition, if anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.

DJKnutsen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Team Viewer is another free (for non-commercial users..) app that allows remote control and viewing of the PC from an iPad

OP
T

tweeker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep thanks that was the one I was aware of.

Most reactions