What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Videos are in mirror image

iPadIt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was shooting a video, using the front facing camera, and in playback I saw that all the videos are being recorded as a mirror image.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks
(iPad 3, os 5.1.1)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With the front facing camera both pictures and videos look like they're mirror image when you are taking them, so that it's easier for you to adjust the camera. When you actually view the video later it should be the right way around.

OP
I

iPadIt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea but that's just the thing. When I view the videos they are still in mirror image. As a matter of fact they are correct while I'm shooting but not when I view the video.
"and in playback I saw that all the videos are being recorded as a mirror image. "

Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just checked mine, and I confirmed that when I'm looking at the iPad with the front facing camera it is indeed a mirror image. When I play it back it's correct again.

All I can suggest is that you try restarting or resetting the iPad. That sometimes fixes the weirdest things.

------------------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.
and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
I

iPadIt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate your help. I restarted the device and it is still shows a correct image while recording but then in playback everything is a mirror image.
Note: it seems correct during recording, it's only in playback that everything looks like a mirror image.
What I do is once I'm finished recording a few seconds I stop the recording and then just click the icon that appears in the lower left hand corner.
Is this correct?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing things correctly. You are using the native camera app, yes?

I'm stumped.

If you've had your iPad less than 90 days or you purchased Applecare, then you have free Apple Tech support. I'd give them a try. I don't know of any setting that would do what you are experiencing.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I just checked mine, and I confirmed that when I'm looking at the iPad with the front facing camera it is indeed a mirror image. When I play it back it's correct again.

All I can suggest is that you try restarting or resetting the iPad. That sometimes fixes the weirdest things.

------------------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.
and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Thank you - that's the clearest explanation I have yet come across re restarting or resetting/rebooting the iPad and handling of problem apps.
Regards, Andrew

OP
I

iPadIt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called Apple and they said update to OS 6 and it might fix things.
I also went to a couple of Best Buys and one Apple store and played with some ipad 3's there.
All the ones I played with showed a correct image while recording and then it turned into a mirror image video in playback.
Which is exactly what's happening to mine.
I'll update the OS when I have time.
Don't necessarily want to do it now considering that everything other than this works fine and I'm reading about some problems.
Might want to wait for 6.0.1.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if we are talking about the same thing, so I'm going to get very basic.

Front camera. The one that faces you when you are looking at the iPad's screen. Same side as the screen.

Mirror image. What you would see in the mirror. Text is backwards.

This is what I see when I'm taking a picture with the front camera. Please excuse the lousy shots. It was a pain to get a screen shot while holding onto something that would show obvious mirroring.

MaverikMirrored.PNG

And this is what the actual picture looked like, allowing for some camera movement.

MavorikNormal.JPG

And in landscape for whatever reason. It's not worth correcting and uploading again for this demo.

OP
I

iPadIt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I will look at my iPad when I come home.
Don't worry about the image being in landscape, in Firefox there's a plugin that rotates, and zooms, images.

Most reactions

Latest posts