What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Videos application frozen

Rogue4540

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The movie I was watching on my videos app froze. I tried to forward it with no success. Got out and re-entered only to find a blank screen. I've tried resetting the app as well as rebooting my ipad. Neither helped. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The movie I was watching on my videos app froze. I tried to forward it with no success. Got out and re-entered only to find a blank screen. I've tried resetting the app as well as rebooting my ipad. Neither helped. Any idea would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Is it just this one movie that's causing the problem - i.e. can you play other movies OK, or do all movies cause this problem?

Tim

OP
R

Rogue4540

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The movie was running for approx 10 mins when it paused itself. I tried forwarding it, but got no response. When I re-entered the video app after resetting and rebooting it attempted to load for about 3 seconds and then nothing, it is blank and won't resond to touch so I can't see to select anything (e.g.,TV Show, Rentals, Done). Thanks for responding!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The movie was running for approx 10 mins when it paused itself. I tried forwarding it, but got no response. When I re-entered the video app after resetting and rebooting it attempted to load for about 3 seconds and then nothing, it is blank and won't resond to touch so I can't see to select anything (e.g.,TV Show, Rentals, Done). Thanks for responding!

OK - please don't be offended - have you forced the Video app to close by double-tapping the Home key to open the multi-task bar, holding any icon until they start to jiggle, then closing the Video app by pressing the 'X' on the top right hand corner of the icon (just closes the app, doesn't delete it). Then try the Video app again?

Tim

Reaction score
The Videos app will always remember the last location, if it is supposed to do that.

So in your case, where the movie somehow got stuck, closing the app won't help, as Videos saves the last location and resumes from there. It would be helpful, if you turn this setting temporarily of, this can be done under Settings->Videos->Start Playing->From beginning.

Once you have changed this setting, Videos should operate normal again. If not, then a reboot may help.

OP
R

Rogue4540

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking through your ipadforums, I found a recommendation from Kiran dated 03/2011. It actually worked so I thought I’d post it again here just in case it could help someone else. Thank you both for all your help!

“Go to search, type the name of another video file that you know you have in your library and click on it. That's it. This will open the new video and close the one that caused the crash. Do not open the file that made your screen went blank. Go find it and delete it. “

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this happen yesterday. I tried all sorts of restarts and resets with no luck. What solved the problem was deleting and then reinstalling the file. Everything now works fine again. I'm not sure what the problem was, but the file now plays fine again.

srad111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this happen yesterday. I tried all sorts of restarts and resets with no luck. What solved the problem was deleting and then reinstalling the file. Everything now works fine again. I'm not sure what the problem was, but the file now plays fine again.

Hi this happened to me and now happens very frequently, cant get to the bottom of why it happens

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi this happened to me and now happens very frequently, cant get to the bottom of why it happens

Can't help with the diagnosis but it happened again yesterday and I tried something else that was an immediate fix and worked great. I double-tapped the home key and loaded the video player controls by going all the way to the left. I pressed the 'start button' then stopped the video and backed out of the video and menus normally. All was fine... :)

Maybe it is a memory issue? - not sure. Next time it happens try the suggestion in this post and see what happens. :ipad-front:

doggiedoc29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks VERY much !

Looking through your ipadforums, I found a recommendation from Kiran dated 03/2011. It actually worked so I thought I’d post it again here just in case it could help someone else. Thank you both for all your help!

“Go to search, type the name of another video file that you know you have in your library and click on it. That's it. This will open the new video and close the one that caused the crash. Do not open the file that made your screen went blank. Go find it and delete it. “

This worked GREAT for me as well. Thanks SO much for posting for us :D

markohudson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently had the same issue. None of the above worked for my problem (blank screen when loading video app, no controls or index of movies). I had to unsync all movies through iTunes and 'BANG' the video app fired up as usual. I resynced my content and haven't had a problem since

Most reactions

Latest posts