What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

video too fast

I

islandman

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I'm afraid not.

When you use the time lapse function, what you are actually doing is taking a series of photographs at pre-determined intervals. So, there is nothing between each picture - which means you can't slow it down.

Sorry, but I'm afraid you'll have to use it as is.

Marilyn

OP
I

islandman

Ok, I accept that, but I'm now thinking, is it possible to view each pic, frame by frame, much like the app fast burst. Hopefully I could save quite a lot. I wanted to save it for my daughter who has been sent on six month detachment thousands of miles away and as such, has missed her daughters birthday.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, you can - but, as far as I know, you'll have to use another app for that. I'm sure there are many apps that can cut out scenes from videos (which is what Apple classifies time-lapses as).

You could also send the time-lapse "video" to your computer for editing. There, you'd have to have a video editor that can convert videos to separate frames/pictures.

Unfortunately, I've got neither an app or computer program to edit, as I've never had to do that before. Maybe try the app iMovie? I don't know but I should think it would work...

Hopefully, someone else will come along that can recommend a product that'll help you separate this time-lapse video into pictures. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Marilyn

OP
I

islandman

Please don't apologise, you tried. Actually youve given me food for thought re sending to my laptop. It's quite hectic here currently with family staying, but as soon as possible, I will work on your suggestion. Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Worst case, pause the video where you want it and take a screenshot. When the video is paused you can tap the screen to make the pause/play and other controls disappear.

They won't be very good pictures. Stills from video almost never are, but it's something.

OP
I

islandman

Worst case, pause the video where you want it and take a screenshot. When the video is paused you can tap the screen to make the pause/play and other controls disappear.

They won't be very good pictures. Stills from video almost never are, but it's something.

Apparently, its not video it's something new in this latest version of iOS 8, it's Time lapse, a sequence of shots taken one after the other, much like to app Fast Burst, so each pic should be good (I hope). but will try your suggestion anyway.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. I'm not certain about the exact details of how it is created but it's more complicated than just taking a series of picture. Taking a series of timed pictures is the traditional way to make a time-lapse video, but this usually requires you to decide on the timing between pictures in advance. When you take a time-lapse video with the iPad the compression rate changes depending on how long the video is. Longer videos speed time up more than short videos. You can't do this with simple timed pictures, because the iPad has no way to know in advance how long the video is going to be.

Regardless of how it's done, the final result is a video. You can't break out individual shots except as still frames from the video. They no longer exist as individual photos. But it would not surprise me to find out a specialized tool could give better results than taking a screenshot. It's worth looking for one.

Here is the best article I've seen on the subject. Understand, they are reasoning backwards from the resulting videos. They don't have any inside knowledge of how Apple is getting those results. That said, the reasoning seems sound.

http://www.studioneat.com/blogs/main/15467765-how-does-the-ios-8-time-lapse-feature-work

Last edited:
OP
I

islandman

I have just made an amazing discovery. Despite everything, I now am able to view and save, shot after shot taken in that time lapse thing. I have it via an app called
Tablet and having installed it, have tapped my way through. This can be used on any video or time lapse.

Most reactions

Latest posts