What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video to import

Geoffsri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 2 video files on a SD card, when I connect the SD card to the IPAD with a lighting connector. The IPad sees and can import one the video files but not the other.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So the iPad doesn't see the other video? Is it a different file format than the one that can be imported?

If the iPad can find the second video: is there enough storage on your iPad to import it?

OP
G

Geoffsri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad can be (or used to be) rather picky about file names. Try changing the videos name to one with eight characters (plus exertion) and no spaces.
Changed the name to 8 characters with no space and extension. It now works. Thanks

Can somebody give me a WebLink to a COMPLETE user guide, I was able to download a basic user guide, but it does not give more than just basic stuff, certainly not the answer to my problem

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean the iPad user guide that Apple provides, there's only the one. There are third party guides available in the iBooks store but they'll cost money.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to help.

The iPad User Guide for iPad is availabvle in the iBooks Store for free, or you can use the web based version here:

https://help.apple.com/ipad/10/

Make sure you get the most recent version, or the version your iPad is using if not the most recent.

Apple does not offer a more extensive guide, though they've recently released an Apple Support app that is worth checking out:

Apple Support on the App Store

I haven't seen any third party guides I would recommend.

Of course, one of the reasons we exist is because no guide is really big enough to cover everything.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad can be (or used to be) rather picky about file names.

The Apple TV 3 is worse. I wanted to stream a movie via the Hoopla app on my iPad, to my Apple TV over AirPlay. I could only do that by mirroring, as otherwise the TV showed the "try again later" error, while the movie played fine on the iPad's screen. I presume it's a format issue and Hoopla doesn't use mp4. (Too bad a Hoopla app never appeared on Apple TV 3 before Apple stopped supporting it.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know what the issue would be with the Apple TV 3, I've only owned the Apple TV 4, and never considered trying to stream from the iPad to the TV. Mirroring's always worked the very few times I wanted app's to show on the TV.

But, I don't think it would have anything to do with the file names issue I mentioned for the OP's problem. In that case it is a matter fo trying to get files off an SD card. Apple never intended SD cards to be a general method of trasfering files. They only support importing pictures and videos directly from a camera's SD card; where the file names tend to automatic and standard.

You can import using an SD card formated on a computer, but you have to be careful to format the filenames and card with the same standards that a camera would. Actually, it's best to format the SD card in a camera, then make sure you use the same or similar file naming conventions (number of characters and extentions) when copying files to it from the computer.

OP
G

Geoffsri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to help.

The iPad User Guide for iPad is availabvle in the iBooks Store for free, or you can use the web based version here:

https://help.apple.com/ipad/10/

Make sure you get the most recent version, or the version your iPad is using if not the most recent.

Apple does not offer a more extensive guide, though they've recently released an Apple Support app that is worth checking out:

Apple Support on the App Store

I haven't seen any third party guides I would recommend.

Of course, one of the reasons we exist is because no guide is really big enough to cover everything.

OP
G

Geoffsri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have downloaded the user guide from the above website it is very basic. will check out the other app. but in the meantime will have to keep bothering you guys.
Thanks again

Nepheler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 2 video files on a SD card, when I connect the SD card to the IPAD with a lighting connector. The IPad sees and can import one the video files but not the other.
Your problem may be caused by incompatible codec issue, try to download some professional iPad video players or use a free video conversion app such as free video dvd converter ultimate to convert the unsupported video to ipad playable H.264 or MPEG-4 file format.

Most reactions

Latest posts