What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Streaming Takes Down Network

kjwilde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We got a new ipad yesterday and getting it connected through my home wifi network was no problem. However, if I try streaming any video (youtube or embedded in a page or through an app like the CNN app) the whole network loses connection. I have several computers (Windows of various vintages and Linux) and several other devices such as Android tablets and a WII that we use for Netflix. I also have an IP phone that's connected via wire to another router that is VPN'd to my employer. All these connections go through a router and then out to the internet via a cable modem. I can stream from multiple devices at the same time (say Netflix and a couple of different youtube videos on different devices) with no problem. Network speed or bandwidth don't appear to be a problem. However, as soon as I try streaming a video on the ipad, all devices in my house loses connectivity (it doesn't matter if they are wired or not). The phone even quits working. As soon as the ipad stops trying to stream (when it also looses connectivity) then everything returns to normal without me having to do anything.

I'm new to the whole Apple universe (at least since the days of the IIe) so I don't know where to look. I find it hard to believe the ipad could 'take over' the network but that is what it appears to be doing. Any help would be appreciated. If I can't make this work it may be another 30 years before I take a bite of the Apple.

Kurt

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Strange. It is certainly not typical.

Make sure your router's firmware is current. The iPad Air (or new Mini Retina) have fairly advanced wi-fi radios, and the router may be treating it differently because of that. It shouldn't, of course, but stuff happens.

Sometimes going to wi-fi settings, forgetting the network, restarting the router, then joining the network again can clear up issues as well. Yes, your other stuff works, but routers do not always treat all devices as equals.

Good luck.

Also, since you just purchased your iPad, you should also have 90 days of free tech support from Apple (or 2 years if you got Applecare). I don't know if they will be able to help, routers being a difficult problem to remote trouble shoot, but it's worth a try.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, try experimenting with your iPad on other networks, friends if possible, and see what happens. What if there is something off with the iPad's radio system that interferes with WiFi?

OP
K

kjwilde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it's the wfi. It kicks all devices wired or wireless off the network. Router firmware is at the latest level. Modifying my network to suit one device doesn't sit well with me. I'm tempted to return it and go with a Windows or Google device.

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Which provider are you using for your internet, and if differentiated, what type i.e. Verizon FiOs or Verizon High-End DSL, etc.

hoben02

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently got the new fios quantum gateway router from Verizon fios what a difference over the old action tea rouer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions