Video Glitch on iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2 Forum' started by gedstrom, Jan 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gedstrom

gedstrom
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have had an occasional problem with videos on my Air 2 that I don't think that I had on my Air. I have 64 videos taken with my Air 2 and 4 of them have a glitched picture. Note the right-hand side of the attached screen capture. It seems to be a duplicate taken from the middle of the picture. Has anyone else run into this?

Attached Files:

2. gedstrom

gedstrom
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I finally got around to taking my iPad down to the local Apple store and they said it was almost certainly a defective iPad. They swapped it (under warranty) for a new iPad, which I just got done reloading with everything. I need to take some videos tomorrow to see if the problem has been solved.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the update. I hope it's solved your issue.

4. gedstrom

gedstrom
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have taken 20 "throw-away" videos under a variety of conditions and have not seen the problem yet, but that is not yet really enough testing to pronounce the problem gone. Only time will tell for sure.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Sounds promising, though. And I agree with the tech, it was most likely a hardware problem, which makes it even more likely the problem is gone.

6. gedstrom

gedstrom
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well, I guess I was pre-mature on declaring victory. I am back to EXACTLY the same problem with my new iPad. This time, however, it manifests itself in still pictures. I haven't seen it yet in videos, but it may yet be manifested there. I think that for my next test, I will remove all non-native & third party apps to see if the problem remains. I will do a backup first, of course, so I can always restore it.

7. gedstrom

gedstrom
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    After going to the Genius Bar at another Apple Store, it was suggested that I go all the way back and set up the iPad as new and re-download all of my apps fresh, in case that some memory had been altered. Well, I did that and gave the camera a workout today. The problem is STILL with me. So, it is looking more and more like a generic problem with iPad Air 2 units. There are still some more tests that I can run, but I might just have to live with it. If I examine the screen before taking each picture, I can see the problem before taking the picture. Once it starts to occur, it infects every following picture until I close and reopen the camera app. I took over 100 pictures this morning before it first entered glitch mode. After clearing the problem, it didn't happen again in the remaining 70 pictures that I took.

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I don't think I've ever taken that many pictures in a day with my iPhone, let alone my iPad, so I suppose it might be a rare bug that few see. If even 10% of people were seeing it, this issue would be all over the news and help sites.

Are you using the native Photos app? I don't rememberer if you said what app you were using.

Side Note: When I was into my DSLR I often took 3 to 4 hundred pictures on a good day. I just don't get that crazy with the iPhone. A few dozen a day is about it, even when the mood strikes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. gedstrom

gedstrom
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I missed your last post. Yes, I am using the native camera app for my iPad. I have several different cameras I use, including a high-end Canon model that I have had for 7 years now. I use the iPad camera a lot for documentation type pictures. We have a number of large building projects going on here in town and I wanted to get some before & after pictures. When I really get going on a project like this, I might take several hundred such pictures in a day. I like the iPad because I get automatic GPS tagging on all of my pictures, something that requires a fair amount of manual work with my Canon DSLR.

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No more ideas then.

My workaround for GPS on the DSLR (when I userD it) was to take one or two shots at each location with the phone. After I imported both devices into Aperture on the iMac I would copy the location metadata from the iPhone shots to the DSLR shots.

Now that I'm not using the iMac or Aperture for photo managment I'll have to come up with another method if/when I use the DSLR.

Or buy a more modern DSLR with a built in GPS.