What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video formats for iPad2

Bpsrini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to sync videos to my iPad2. But it is not syncing. Appreciate your help. My videos recorded using digital camera are in Quick Time Movie (.MOV) format, 1280x720, 29 frames/sec. Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Bangalore - welcome to the forum! :)

Below quoted from Apple support are the video formats compatible w/ the iPad, including *.mov from Quicktime (although 30 frames a sec is the usual, so is that a typo in your OP?) - you might want to provide some information regarding 'how' you are trying to sync these videos, i.e. from your computer, the Apple CCK (camera connection kit), and/or by other means?

But as a simple starting point and if not already done, 'Restart' (or 'Reset' in the former is not successful) your iPad - sometimes solves these issues - if not familiar w/ the process - directions HERE - good luck and please post back w/ further information!

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get Micro Video Converter for the Mac, it's really easy to use and you just put a video file on it's screen and pick iPad from the menu then hit convert. You will find the converted file next to your unconverted file.
My system even puts the converted movie into my iTunes movies.
I plug in my iPad and it's moved to my iPad ready to be viewed.
Micro Video Converter is free and can be found online or on apples store in the free stuff.

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As your videos recorded using digital camera are in Quick Time Movie (.MOV) format, think maybe you'll need to convert it to 720p.
Though the iPad is 1,024 by 768 pixel screen, the screen is in a 4:3 ratio which is the exactly the same as an old CRT television set. Many of us are have gone on from there and are luxuriating in the glory of our 16x9 aspect HD videos. It turns out that 16x9 will give you big honking black bars at the top and bottom of your screen as you can see by the green bar in the image below, and anything above or below it will be displayed as black bars(from iFunia iPad column).
So, if you have a boatload of 1080P HD video files on your computer, iPad can't play them - in fact, iTunes won't even let you copy them to the iPad! The easiest solution is to downrez or convert 1080P HD video to 720P video using converters.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
you should be able to sync anything over, but only official apple compliant formats will be viewed by the apple software. just because your camera saves it as 'mov', doesnt mean it's an official apple format. the file extension is only a file name holder. make sure it's an official or proper MOV or MP4 for your ipad to read it. then, you can sync over whatever size you wish.

TCstr8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No converting. I'm using GoodPlayer. Problem was that iTunes thought some of my videos couldn't be played, so wouldn't sync them. In iTunes, click on device, click on APPS (top menu bar across), scroll down to File Sharing, click on GoodPlayer, then to the right click to add videos. Haven't run across a video that GoodPlayer wouldn't play yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts