What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vibration

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi i just noticed that when my ipad2 is plugged in and charging i feel a vibration when im holding the back,has anyone else noticed it?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not an issue if it doesn't annoy you. Has it only just started or was it always like this?

Tim

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not an issue if it doesn't annoy you. Has it only just started or was it always like this?

Tim

i got it on the 7th and i only noticed it last night,i just spoke to someone at the apple store and for good measure krcs and they say all theres instore do it so if its normal then thats fine,expect i wont notice it after a while,thanks for the input.

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
just an update on the vibration problem with my ipad2,i just plugged in my macbook pro to charge and i get the same sensation when i touch that,i never noticed it before,wonder if its something to do with the aluminium case on both? strangely i feel a bit reassured now i feel it on both,i would be very interested to hear if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Further to my earlier post on my ipad2 vibrating while charging,I found my mbp was doing the same,well I just found a post on a forum that said if you plug the mbp in with the longer cable it won't vibrate,it's true it doesn't so thats one problem solved,now what I need to know is this-can I use the long cable from my mbp to charge my ipad2?the little plug fits but I was worried about actually connecting it to the mains,hope someone can advise.

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Several Members have had similar experiences...see here...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/23470-ipad-2-charging-problem-buzzing.html

Tim
yes i read those,is it normal or should i take it back?

i found out that the reason you get that vibration is because the 3 pin plug supplied is only 2 core wire,the big pin is a dummy pin,its not earthed,you can prove this by putting your fingers on the back of the ipad then put your other hand on,the vibration then stops because you are grounding or earthing it,i connected my ipad cable to my mbp cable to charge my ipad and the vibration stops because the mpb cable is earthed.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the various updates on this - you've found a reason for a very interesting problem. If it's OK, I'll take a note of this thread and point Members in this direction when they have the same problem. Very interesting to know the final reason!!

Tim

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the various updates on this - you've found a reason for a very interesting problem. If it's OK, I'll take a note of this thread and point Members in this direction when they have the same problem. Very interesting to know the final reason!!

Tim

please do,i know from trawling google ect that a lot of people out there are experiencing the same thing,the only thing is now is that it will be a pain to keep swapping the cable,i have an appointment at the apple shop tomorrow so i will show them what i have discovered. p.s i cured the vibration on my mbp too by using the long cable supplied instead of the 3 pin plug.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
poisonivy said:
i found out that the reason you get that vibration is because the 3 pin plug supplied is only 2 core wire,the big pin is a dummy pin,its not earthed,you can prove this by putting your fingers on the back of the ipad then put your other hand on,the vibration then stops because you are grounding or earthing it,i connected my ipad cable to my mbp cable to charge my ipad and the vibration stops because the mpb cable is earthed.

That's interesting info.......I don't think I'll try it myself just in case my hair stands on end and my eyes catch fire!

The Archangel

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
poisonivy said:

That's interesting info.......I don't think I'll try it myself just in case my hair stands on end and my eyes catch fire!

The Archangel

lol,perfectly safe,as far as i can see its the same voltage,the connecters fit so it must be ok,il run it by apple tomorrow anyway

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
just an update on my updated update lol,please stick with this,its a bit long,i kept my appointment at the apple store and they thought my ipad2 was vibrating more than normal,i only had it 12days so they offered a replacement unit but then said it may or may not have refurnished parts,er what?i declined and went back to HMV who happily offered me another brand new one but they didnt have a 16gb so i paid the extra £80 for a 32gb,(bear with me)the upshot is that the new one does the same thing,also i was wrong about the mbp pro extension cable being earthed,it isnt but you can use it to charge the ipad2 as its compatible,its the same voltage,it gives you a longer cable too,i dont know how it stops the vibrating but it does,so i spent another £80 and i still have a vibrating ipad2 while charging (unless i use my mbp cable)but maybe the extra storage space will be handy,thankyou for reading if you stuck with it this far.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts