What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very unhappy

appleteacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I am new on but i'm very unhappy with my ipad....

As a very keen apple user and as a sport lecturer i was keen to buy the ipad to help with the lesson i teach.

I was under the impression (rather i was told by apple store workers) that the ipad would work with smartboard.

I even bought the VGA under guideance for the store workers.

Teaching sport means using the apps on the ipad/iphone highlight infomation that is very useful and in a way that the learners understand.

All i want to be able to do is project the screen of the ipad on the smartboard so that the app's can be seen on a bigger scale. (i dont want to use the smartboard as a touch screen just to have the image that is on the ipad at the time on the smartboard).

Now i have tried the VGA dock and looked into it abit more this is not possible...

I am very upset about this info i was told about by apple and feel cheated out of over £500.00.

Unless someone knows different?

Thanks

Dean

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google ipad projector and you'll find some options.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it's strange that only some apps can project. Why not all?

I am using the ipad to project everything I write on the screen in my lessons onto a whiteboard. It is very good at it, but you've got to find the right apps!

I use Neu Notes, Neu Annotate and Note Taker HD. I also show pics, diagrams etc at any zoom. Very flexible.

Everything that's on the board can then be emailed, uploaded etc as a PDF.

Last edited:

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All i want to be able to do is project the screen of the ipad

I have had the same experience and I suspect that so have many others. On all other computers, that I know of, it is a simple matter to output the screen to another display. Obviously the people in the Apple Store thought so too.

For iOS it is only possible to stream content. Apple's documentation does say as much but many people (you and me included) don't fully comprehend this until after they have parted with their money, resulting in much disappointment.

I hope that the options mentioned in some of the replies to you post can fill this gap.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

That's the whole point. On any other device (that I know of) you can output the entire screen to an external display but not with iOS. Only apps that have been designed to stream their output can do it.

I really don't understand why Apple didn't build this into iOS, the uninitiated assume that it is.

T

TJK

That's the whole point. On any other device (that I know of) you can output the entire screen to an external display but not with iOS. Only apps that have been designed to stream their output can do it.

I really don't understand why Apple didn't build this into iOS, the uninitiated assume that it is.

I have been told that it has to do with Digital Rights Management and copyrighted material. So it comes down to specific applications either allowing (or not) the output of the app to be directed to the VGA adapter.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been told that it has to do with Digital Rights Management and copyrighted material. So it comes down to specific applications either allowing (or not) the output of the app to be directed to the VGA adapter.

I was going to mention that as a possibility but I don't really think that it stacks up.

Firstly, Apple seems to be the only supplier that thinks that way. Windows has always been able to output to an external display. I assume that the Mac can do it as well, but I could be wrong about that.

Secondly, sending the output (i.e. the entire screen) to your TV is hardly an infringement of Digit Rights. This would only be true if done in a public arena and the iPad is essentially a personal device.

I don't see how it is up to Apple to enforce this, I don't think any other manufacturers bother.

rkelac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What kind of app would you like to use? There are quite a few apps now that can use the vga out. Pages works well for PowerPoint slides. For particular categories of apps maybe we can suggest ones that would work.

Maybe we should start a new list:
Pages
Whiteboard VGA
Perfect Browser
Note Taker

Last edited:

MobilityGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.MobilityGo.com
As an iOS developer I can tell you exactly what is happening.

First off, I was surprised as well when I purchased my VGA adapter for iPad. One of my clients was about to do a real-estate TradeShow where we developed their app and they wanted it to be available on a large screen output. It did not work as anticipated...

So after digging into docs, it became clear that each app needs to be custom developed to support the VGA output. A secondary 'screen' device has to be created (programmatically) and the graphics output needs to be drawn to this VGA screen. But doing so makes the iPad screen go dark - so in the end the solution is to copy the contents (as many frames per second as the app can tolerate) from the primary iPad screen to the VGA output screen (and resized as required).

I've done this option for various clients since, but it is not an elegant solution since the graphic animations can be sometimes choppy.

Apple SDK in fact makes even this difficult since they BAN apps which use their own internal API to do this efficiently (since last July 2010).

This is why only some apps support VGA output.

From a developer perspective, this was a surprise. This should be available as base iOS capability at the core level. I guess this is another case of 'performance' issue like flash.

My feeling is that this will be corrected in future iPad release.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes the Apple support/sales people are Apple's worse enemies. There are many functions that are better served with a laptop, and if it is a hassle to do it on an iPad, they should put that out to customers. I would never give up my iPad, but a lot of times my MBP also travels with me. A motorcycle is great, but does not replace a car.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MobilityGo said:
From a developer perspective, this was a surprise. This should be available as base iOS capability at the core level. I guess this is another case of 'performance' issue like flash.

My feeling is that this will be corrected in future iPad release.

Thanks, I think that it must be an oversight too. I am looking forward to seeing it fixed. What I would REALLY like to see is the ability to "throw" the iPad screen to TV via AppleTV.

OP
A

appleteacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive given the ipad to the wife now... easier to stick to normal lessons and create my own video and upload via youtube.

what a waste....

Most reactions

Latest posts