very tough time ahead 4 jbers

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by mathen, Jan 26, 2011.

1. mathen

mathen iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    With 4.3 fw Apple will introduce ASLR,that will make jailbreaking really tough :mad:
  2. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    But everybody loves a challenge, right? :)
  3. Digikid

Digikid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    SO what? It is not easy to begin with so that entire point is meh.
  4. sh0nuff

sh0nuff iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What's ASLR?
  5. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Apple's
    sh1tty
    Lockdown
    Regimen
  6. sh0nuff

sh0nuff iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lol, alright. ;)
  7. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I know nothing about it,so that was my best stab.
  8. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
  9. zrb0529

zrb0529 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    nah, ASLR is dead before it comes out, these guys are geniuses (the jail break guys)

GeoHot out smarted the best engineers that Sony has, all by himself, and the other jailbreak guys are all really smart too

Antid0te is going to make iOS devices more secure than non-jailbroken ones because it uses ASLR, which is sort of funny, and when they -finally- get around to releasing SHAtter then there's nothing Apple can really do about it
  10. mathen

mathen iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But even though jailbreaking has been legalized,still apple kept on patching up,so jailbreakers are already finding it hard nut to break,see the time frame between apples software update and gap in release of jailbreak,which is gradually increasing.:(:p
    @Geohotz,nobody can see,what he is up to next, first he said he is off from jailbreaking,then after some months he comes from nowhere with Limera1n,now what next, may be he is after xbox,anyway thats upto him;)
    Also chronic dev team tweets that there is no ETA for Greenpois0n release, future does not look that promising for me,still 1am optim1stic:ipad-front:
  11. LGgeek

LGgeek iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If Apple kills of jailbreaking then I stop ugrading my iPhone and stay on the JB version I have. This means that soon after the itunes store will not let me make purchases so I stop doing that. In the end it will cost Apple money , I will not shop at app store any more and not buy new iphones.

This is the same borg mentality that almost put Apple out of business before and in the phone arena that are plenty of people to take up the slack.
  12. sh0nuff

sh0nuff iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually, Apple almost went out of business when Steve Jobs left and the new CEO decided that it would be a good idea to allow other 3rd party companies to make hardware that would run their OS. With the company sliding into obscurity, he returned and more or less single-handedly saved Apple and made it into the giant it is today

Keeping a lock down on their own hardware + software means that they control every aspect. Saying that it will cost Apple money when they have sold 10,000,000 apps and still maintain a lockdown on the mp3 worldwide market makes no sense.

Sure, lots of people JB their phones, but thats still only maybe 1 in 25, the other 24 people buy their apps normally.. If people can't Jb their devices anymore, and those people are adamant about not buying new un-lockable hardware, they only lose a small fraction of their customer share

I'm more worried about what Apple's fate will be if/when Steve retires or dies... That could cause Apple to lose its foothold if the new CEO isn't as dedicated towards the ideals as Steve has been.
  13. Shiznit

Shiznit iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its just à matter of time....thats all there is to it...
  14. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    You left off a few zeros... they have sold over 10 BILLION apps! And I just saw a report recently that said that since the introduction of the first iPhone, Apple has sold over 160 million iOS devices.

This sort of gives me the idea that Apple (under Steve Jobs' leadership) pretty much knows what they are doing!
  15. Digikid

Digikid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

They do good at times....but not forever. They are not infallible you know.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  16. socalpimp

socalpimp iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah! their stock prices and business model will collapse with your one man boycott.....instant bankruptcy
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  17. Digikid

Digikid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Blunt but True.......Your voice will mean nothing to Apple. The ONLY way they will listen is if MILLIONS of people boycott....and even then I doubt they will listen.

I have SOME respect for Apple but I will say this.....They care nothing about the users opinions for the most part.
  18. mathen

mathen iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Digikid, true said....they are incorrigible
  19. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I always chuckle when I see comments like this! Apple happens to be one of the most successful corporations in America today. They have a net worth of over $222 billion dollars. Their closest competitor in the technology field would be Microsoft with a net worth of a measly $219 billion dollars. As a matter of fact, the only American company with a higher net worth is Exxon Mobil.

Since the introduction of the first iPhone, Apple has sold over 160 million iOS devices and to go with all those devices, over 10 billion apps.

A company simply does not reach this level of success by ignoring the opinions of the buying public.

Take a look at General Motors. After the financial crisis, they did nothing to change their business model to account for the loss in sales and eventually went bankrupt They were forced to sell off several of its brands and would be out of business had it not been for the federal bailout. In other words, they kept running their business the way they wanted to and ignored the buying trends of the car buying public.

Now take a look at Ford. They saw the financial crisis coming. They scaled back production to those models that were top sellers, not models that they thought people should have like Saab, Hummer and Saturn. As a result, they did not need a bailout from Washington to stay in business.

The bottom line is that you stay in business and are successful because you respond to the buying public, not by ignoring them!
  20. zrb0529

zrb0529 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I agree on that one. Jailbreaking hasn't got anything to do with Apple. The JB community is comparatively a minority when you look at the whole ecosystem of iOS devices and, technologically speaking, there isn't really much of a reason to do it. Sure, you can add features that you think should exist but don't but other than that, what's the net benefit? I say this having jailbroken my iPad as soon as I got it home, same goes with my iPod Touch. I un-jailbroke my ipad, though, because it's not worth the hassle, because I actually use it for work.

Most people who jailbreak are doing it because they want to buy cracked apps, not because they want to 'add functionality', most of which is pointless anyway. Take multitasking, for instance. Other than listening to music and reading what benefits do you gain on an iPad from it? There really aren't very many. I've written papers, researched topics, blogged, created graphics for projects, played various musical instruments and created keynote presentations on my iPad, often mixing several of those activities together and never really needed to 'multitask', especially being as people aren't really capable of multitasking anyway (look it up before you go bitching about how I'm wrong)

The small group of people who do jailbreak to add missing functionality are losing other functionality, such as the ease with which you can restore your iPad incase something goes wrong and the ability to reboot untethered (for those who JP with latest redsn0w).

I jailbroke my iPad to use it tethered to my BlackBerry for internet, but now I've bought a Clear iSpot and use it instead, faster speed and better reliability, so the tethering was a novelty that to me wasn't worth the hassle

So what it comes down to are that most jailbreakers are what would be referred to in the hacking world as 'script kiddies', people who use tools with no real reason or understanding of how they work, and there are only a few people who do it for idealogical purposes. Saurik or whatever his name is being one of those few, though I call even that into question because he gets a cut of money made from Cydia purchases and is also now quite the hacking conference rock-star.

I think Apple will continue screwing with JailBreakers because they think it's fun, engineers are like they - they love challenges, and thats exactly what's going on, Apple engineers are playing a game against the jailbreakers who are also engineers, and eventually one side will win even if Apple does it by releasing a new product with tougher firmware.

So, does Apple listen to it's customers? Steve Jobs personally responds to emails sometimes, who else does that? The JailBreak community created 'multi-tasking' and then Apple released it into 4.2.1. The community wants cameras, the iPad 2 has 2 of em...yeah, I think they listen.