What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very slow iPad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad Air 2 receives current updates. Maybe you also read about an iPad 2 which doesn't get iOS 10.
The iPad 2 came out in March 2011, and has been discontinued by Apple in March 2014. There are quite a few differences to the iPad Air 2, which was released in October 2014, and discontinued this March.

As the iPad shows an available update, it's possible (or even recommended) to install the latest iOS. Apple always includes security updates with every software.

Apple's updates are not as frequent as those of Windows devices. iOS 10.3.1 was released a month ago. 10.3.2 is supposed to come soon, but Apple usually won't release it until bugs and problems with the software are fixed. It's possible to join the Developer Beta or Public Beta program and test the software before it is published, thus helping Apple improve their iOS.

OP
Crchisholm

Crchisholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonderful! The iPad that I bought less than a week ago is already "discontinued". What exactly does that mean for me. I assume there will be no further updates. In the PC world that would be at the same time, a blessing and a curse. Blessing because no more worries about updates that screw up your computer, and a curse because no more protection from the OTHER evil empires besides Microsoft.

I assume from what you're saying I should go ahead with the iOS 10 update, right?

Thank you for your response!

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of consumer electronics!

Personally, I would do the update if for no other reason so you will have the latest security updates. Unless you never go online.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wonderful! The iPad that I bought less than a week ago is already "discontinued". What exactly does that mean for me. I assume there will be no further updates. In the PC world that would be at the same time, a blessing and a curse. Blessing because no more worries about updates that screw up your computer, and a curse because no more protection from the OTHER evil empires besides Microsoft.

I assume from what you're saying I should go ahead with the iOS 10 update, right?

Thank you for your response!
Your iPad Air 2 should receive iOS updates for several years, there's no way to tell in advance exactly how long. There's no reason not to update to the latest iOS version.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wonderful! The iPad that I bought less than a week ago is already "discontinued". What exactly does that mean for me. I assume there will be no further updates...............

Hello - just some more information below about your 'new' iPad Air 2 to simply reinforce Johanna's comments - although your iPad was just D/C by Apple, as long as the further iOS releases (even the next newest version, i.e. 10.4.x) are compatible w/ its hardware, you should be able to update/upgrade.

I also own an iPad Air 2 and always advance to the next iOS versions on release - currently on 10.3.1 - I recommend (and you should) do the upgrade (and some definitions: 1) Update is a 'minor' version change, e.g. 10.3.1 -> 10.3.2; and 2) Upgrade is a 'major' version change, i.e. 10.3.x -> 10.4.x). iOS updates/upgrades can be done via iTunes w/ your device cabled to a computer (Mac or PC) or OTA (over the air) - so if uncertain about the differences, ask more questions and/or look for Apple KB articles - there are plenty. Good luck - Dave :)

The iPad Air 2 is the second-generation iPad Air, or theoretically the sixth-generation of iPad tablet computer designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc. It was announced on October 16, 2014 alongside the iPad Mini 3, both of which were released on October 22, 2014. The iPad Air 2 is thinner and faster than its predecessor, the iPad Air, and features Touch ID with the height and screen size the same as the iPad Air. Its successor, the iPad (7th generation), was announced on March 21, 2017, and the iPad Air 2 was discontinued at the same time, along with the iPad Mini 2. (Source)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should update to the current iOS version, which is 10.3.1 right now.

Your iPad will continue receiving updates. The iPad 2, which was discontinued in 2014, received software updates until last year.

OP
Crchisholm

Crchisholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I have installed the update (or in my case it was an upgrade in which I was on 9.3.2). So far I'm liking it. Took a little while to get he finger print recognician, and my blue tooth keyboard working, but all is well now. Thanks again for all the support.

Tyler_Barlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like everyone said, you should probably upgrade the OS version and limit your apps.

OP
Crchisholm

Crchisholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep. Did it. Very happy with the results and I don't Evan know anything about iOS 10 yet.

Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts