What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very low wifi connection!

andrejbruno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

Ok, here is my problem/question:
I have a Mac leopard that doesn't get along with my wireless router, só i use a wired router for him and i have the wireless router connected to the wired router só i can have wifi on my iPad.
So far so good...but i just realize something, i have a 10meg connection (very fast on the Mac) and the connection is always full speed on the Mac but on the iPad its always a little slow.
Today it was very slow, só i got a speed test app for the iPad and realized that on the iPad the connection is at 300kbps or lower! Thats a huge diference, dont you guys think?!?!
Also the Ping on the Mac is 12ms and on the iPad is around 820ms.
(the iPad is always really close to the router and the wifi signal is always high)
Does somebody knows what's my problem and can you help my please?
Thank you!

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well a 10 Mbps connection is only 1.25 MBps. Since speed tests usually measure in Bytes (B) and not bits(b), you are using about 25% of your connection speed. If you have other computers on the internet, it will slow down your iPad speed. Also the type of router speed you have (g or n) affects the max speed it can send out wirelessly.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:
OP
A

andrejbruno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont know what type is my router, i'll find out. But the strange thing is that the other computer was off at the time, so i wasnt sharing the connection and i use to have a laptop on the wifi connection and it was very fast...definetly faster then the iPad...
Thanks for the very quick answer, i appreciate it!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

Ok, here is my problem/question:
I have a Mac leopard that doesn't get along with my wireless router, só i use a wired router for him and i have the wireless router connected to the wired router só i can have wifi on my iPad.
So far so good...but i just realize something, i have a 10meg connection (very fast on the Mac) and the connection is always full speed on the Mac but on the iPad its always a little slow.
Today it was very slow, só i got a speed test app for the iPad and realized that on the iPad the connection is at 300kbps or lower! Thats a huge diference, dont you guys think?!?!
Also the Ping on the Mac is 12ms and on the iPad is around 820ms.
(the iPad is always really close to the router and the wifi signal is always high)
Does somebody knows what's my problem and can you help my please?
Thank you!

Several things often help improve WiFi connections on the iPad. Simply restarting the iPad can fix most issues. Hold down the power switch (outside edge) by itself until the red slider appears. Turn it off by sliding the switch and then once again hold down the power switch until the Apple logo appears.

Resetting the iPad should be reserved for a non-responsive unit as it addresses other activity but if restarting doesn't do it, resetting it might. Hold down the power and home buttons until the slider appears and shut it down. Hold down the power switch again until the Apple logo appears. Fully booting up from a reset will take a little longer than a restart.

More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Another is to reboot your network and everything on it including your modem/router, etc. while your iPad is off. Turn your iPad back on and see if the connection has improved.

Lastly you can try deleting the network connection on your iPad and then go back and set it up again. Settings > Wi-Fi > tap on your network > Forget this Network.

Here's some more info if none of that works...

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/38535-slowing-i-pad2-2.html#post291682

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

Most reactions

Latest posts