What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Good to Some Disappointments

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of these shortcomings could be fixed if/when we ever get a working JailBreak for the ipad2.........

Reaction score
We all knew when we bought our iPad that it isn't a laptop. .

Herein lies the problem. A lot of folks don't know this and they expected it.

I'm guilty of believing all those who wrote/say that their ipad did in fact replace their laptop and figured lack of TRUE multi task wouldn't be as big a deal for me as it has been. I understand it is a trade off for security from viral or worm attack but didn't realize at first it was not indeed me but the iPad is not a desktop replacement for MY needs. Maybe theirs but not mine.
Like I wrote before , what it does it does well and if we aren't willing to accept the limitations and find contentment with it's abilities there are other tablets out there as well as nice laptops, notebooks and netbooks
I personally will weigh my options when other tablets are available but for now my iPad and my Inc make a nice tag team, hence the reason for my forum avatar

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

AJTaliesen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My biggest gripe, or wish, and I'm sure it'll come, is I want to use my iPad as a completely independent and stand alone system - I want to sync, transfer media and update the iOS wirelessly. I don't want to have to rely on hard wiring to a desk top iTunes enabled computer.

I don't mind 3rd party apps, even for basics, as this makes the experience more fun, fuller and varied.

I have to think that this is coming and is inevitable. When they started (and it was fairly recent really) that had no way of knowing and so it's all still set up to be a peripheral that adds functionality to the computer you already own.

A good example is a post I read on the Xoom when it first came out...the mini USB was set up at the time to be out, not in...in other words: good for letting your desktop read your tablet as a peripheral, not for allowing your tablet to read other peripherals.

The overwhelming desire from the marketplace though has been fairly obvious: people use tablets as computers, not computer add ons. It's only a matter of time (and probably not very long) until new developments reflect this very obvious desire of consumers.

My prediction is that you'll start to see more and more ability to interact with it's own peripherals, hopefully even storage drives and such.

Given the mindset that it started out with though, you have to be a little impressed at how close it is already.

Patriks7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The fact that Apple doesn't seem to be interested in addressing the above shortcomings.

Just because you view all of these things as shortcomings doesn't mean that Apple and other users do as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

Rich2putt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We all knew when we bought our iPad that it isn't a laptop. .

Herein lies the problem. A lot of folks don't know this and they expected it.

I already own a laptop & I did not purchased an iPad as a replacement. Whether people agree with me or not, the iPad can not even delete a simple photo. To me that's pretty pathetic.

Anyway, I am not here to start a war but only to state my likes & dislikes of the ipad.

Reaction score
Do you mean photos added via sync or other? Others can be but sync,I agree its a pain, can only be deleted via sync

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

OP
R

Rich2putt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you mean photos added via sync or other? Others can be but sync,I agree its a pain, can only be deleted via sync

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Correct, the sync added in photo.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the original OP post

It is good sometimes to take a deep breath and realize the iPad is not repeat is not a computer. While it is incredibly useful at some dasks like reading mail, books, viewing movies, and shopping, it is not a computer. We all have had to readjust our expectations and remind ourselves that it simply is not a computer, does not run Unix or (gasp) Windows, and full fledged software is not written for it.

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
It is good sometimes to take a deep breath and realize the iPad is not repeat is not a computer. While it is incredibly useful at some dasks like reading mail, books, viewing movies, and shopping, it is not a computer. We all have had to readjust our expectations and remind ourselves that it simply is not a computer, does not run Unix or (gasp) Windows, and full fledged software is not written for it.

It's a toy!

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the iPad 1 first came out, I was extremely critical and didn't purchase it BECAUSE of the fact that it seemed like a large iPod Touch. I thought - what's the point? I have a small laptop, a large laptop, and an iPod Touch - why the heck should I spend money on something like that?

Now, I'm seeing it the other way. Yes, I still see the iPad as a large iPod Touch. But even my "small" 14" laptop is bulky at times and its battery life is AWFUL. Since I have to travel farther to campus this school year, I really don't want to haul around all my books, my laptop, and my laptop accessories. I plan on using my iPad2 to take notes during class and record lectures - thus replacing my piles of notebooks as well as allowing me to leave the laptop at home. Not once did I think that the iPad would replace a laptop or desktop computer - it was kind of obvious, as the harddrive space available only went up to 64GB, when most laptops have at least 250GB. That doesn't mean that I don't wish it could do everything that a laptop can do! :D

Also, not only did I choose the iPad for all listed above - I also chose it because it's made by Apple. I considered many other (cheaper!) tablets, but I couldn't bring myself to purchase anything other than the iPad. I base this solely on experience I've had with other devices - mainly phones. I have owned MANY touch screen phones and NONE of them could compare to the quality of my iPhone 4. The screen itself is the big deal breaker - Apple touch screens are effortless to use, wonderfully smooth, and extremely responsive. Most other touch screens out there are not - the LG Voyager comes to mind here (ew). Not to mention Apple's decent customer service (unlike some other companies) and the large variety of apps in the appstore. I have looked through the apps available on other devices and they're just not the same. IMHO, the user experience is much better on the iPad.

Most reactions