What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Good to Some Disappointments

Rich2putt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After two weeks playing with an ipad2, it’s been a very good experience, but I’m very disappointed in other functions, like:

Ø Unable to create folders in Mail
Ø Unable to delete photo’s in photo albums
Ø Unable to sort bookmarks
Ø No additional tabs on the Safari web browser
Ø Unable to drag photos, music files from pc to ipad
Ø Unable to create a home page in Safari

These are all basics in the computer world. I am sure there are other “unable to†that I haven’t discovered yet.

The iPad, in general, is very user friendly, but to use 3rd party apps or figure a work around these issues is nuts. These “unable to†is not rocket science to address.

In another year when Andriod matures, IMO could be a better choice.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rich2putt said:
These are all basics in the computer world. I am sure there are other “unable to” that I haven’t discovered yet.

Basics in the computer world, but not the Ipad world.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But third party apps provides motivation for innovation, no?

Even if Safari did those things, we'd want to see something even better. So you might as well jump in, exploring what third parties can do.

(to be honest, I'm wondering if I can delete some of those apps the iPad came with, including Safari. They wobble but I can't see the crosses.)

OP
R

Rich2putt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But third party apps provides motivation for innovation, no?

Even if Safari did those things, we'd want to see something even better. So you might as well jump in, exploring what third parties can do.

(to be honest, I'm wondering if I can delete some of those apps the iPad came with, including Safari. They wobble but I can't see the crosses.)

What I call basic user functions would not require 3rd party apps. The innovations for the basics have been with us for years. Yes, the ipad is not a computer, but I am not asking for MS Office or Flash, just the basics.

FYI........Apps that come with the Ipad can not be deleted.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
My biggest gripe, or wish, and I'm sure it'll come, is I want to use my iPad as a completely independent and stand alone system - I want to sync, transfer media and update the iOS wirelessly. I don't want to have to rely on hard wiring to a desk top iTunes enabled computer.

I don't mind 3rd party apps, even for basics, as this makes the experience more fun, fuller and varied.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is basic for you is not always basic for other "ipad" users. The things you mention I either have on my computer or I don't use. I do not miss them at all on my Ipad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
It is a Mobile Computing Device that has been paired down to the easiest form and designed to make the simple consumption of internet and media as easy and simple as possible. It does this very well, and very efficiently. I can go half a week on one charge alone.

It is, by definition, a computer. The "limitations" you are talking about are things you are used to in either Windows or OSX. iOS is neither of them, and thus, will have different ways of accomplishing the same thing. And you realize, the first versions of Windows and Mac OS there was no way to handle ZIP files natively? OMG, you had to get a, wait for it, 3rd party app! That is just one example.

As to the default apps, no they cannot be deleted. They are part of the OS. Would you delete Finder (OSX) or Explorer (Windows and not IE) from your computer? This is why there are other ways (apps) to do the same things.

As to your comment about Android maturing... What happens in that year as the iOS matures? You really dont think Apple will let the iOS stagnate, do you?

If you dont like the device, take it back and wait on your Android.

Reaction score
The Ipad is designed for a certain type of user. Always has been , always will be. Many of us are not that type of user.
My advice is to do as many of us "other" type of user are doing is either take it back or adapt to what it is designed to do until a product that fits "us" is available.
Anything my Ipad can't do my Droid (Incredible) Does but what my Ipad can do it does, for the most part, very well. I'd never use my wife's van for things my truck is designed to do better. It may ride better and be prettier but it's not a truck and an Ipad is not a heavy lifter.
Maybe in the future Safari will be more of a multi tasker work horse of a browser, maybe in the future ios will be more of a multi tasker, maybe it'll even add widgets without a jail break but for now it does a decent job of replacing many tasks we used to need a more capable computer for.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You CAN create mail folders on your ipad, but you need to change from POP to IMAP. You then need the server settings from your isp (wireless router / modem needs changing too)

Once you have the settings from your service provider, go to settings on the ipad, tap mail, select your account, tap advanced and change to IMAP

If you are also using a Windows based email client, you need to visit the Windows help site to get the modifications you need for your account. Sounds complicated, but it's not really.

Studor13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can delete photos.

You can sort bookmarks.

You can create a "homepage" as an icon.

Now try something "basic" with a PC, like take it into your bedroom, lie on your bed and try reading a book or surf the net.

Oh yes, make a cup of tea while the PC is booting up.

You don't quite understand what the iPad is. It's not a PC!

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Somerled said:
It is a Mobile Computing Device that has been paired down to the easiest form and designed to make the simple consumption of internet and media as easy and simple as possible. It does this very well, and very efficiently. I can go half a week on one charge alone.

It is, by definition, a computer. The "limitations" you are talking about are things you are used to in either Windows or OSX. iOS is neither of them, and thus, will have different ways of accomplishing the same thing. And you realize, the first versions of Windows and Mac OS there was no way to handle ZIP files natively? OMG, you had to get a, wait for it, 3rd party app! That is just one example.

As to the default apps, no they cannot be deleted. They are part of the OS. Would you delete Finder (OSX) or Explorer (Windows and not IE) from your computer? This is why there are other ways (apps) to do the same things.

As to your comment about Android maturing... What happens in that year as the iOS matures? You really dont think Apple will let the iOS stagnate, do you?

If you dont like the device, take it back and wait on your Android.

Now that is an excellent post.....saves me some typing!

The Archangel

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After two weeks playing with an ipad2, it’s been a very good experience, but I’m very disappointed in other functions, like:

This is my list from a closed thread. After almost a year of use, I love my iPad but find these shortcomings quite frustrating. The fact that the iPad 2 doesn't address even one of these issues is also quite disappointing. When it comes time replace my iPad I will be taking a close look at Android devices.

I see that the apologists are at work on this thread as usual. I just don't see why we should accept things as they are in an evolving device category (i.e. tablet computers).

Apple has made a giant leap over Windows tablets with the iPad. It's not surprising that they didn't get it 100% right in version 1 but they don't seem to be interested in building on such a good start. Surely innovation and responsiveness should be paramount at this early point in the development of tablet devices.

Anyway, here's my list:-

1- No access to the file system and restricted file sharing between apps.
2 - Apologists for the lack of a file system. I have heard no justification for this that I can accept.
3 - The spell checker. Auto-correct doesn't work very well and the only way to turn it off is to turn the spell checker off completely.
4 - Repeated loss of focus for text boxes (vanishing cursor) in Safari when a page is opened.
5 - The lack of cursor keys on the keyboard. The magnifier thingy is no substitute. Text selection in general can be quite frustrating.
7 - Related to Item 1, the lack of a USB port and SD card slot. I would like to see both.
8 - The lack of Flash.
9 - Apologists for the lack of Flash. Regardless of the justifications, it means that there are web sites that I can't access from the iPad.
10 - The "It's not supposed to be a computer" excuse for these shortcomings. There are things that that you should be able to do on the iPad but can't for various of the above reasons.
11 - The fact that Apple doesn't seem to be interested in addressing the above shortcomings.

Last edited:

Ruthie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We all knew when we bought our iPad that it isn't a laptop. If I needed Flash or to use a USB or SD card, I would have bought a netbook. It would probably have been cheaper too!

I get a lot of pleasure out of my iPad, I can access my photos easily, I can watch films I've downloaded, listen to my music and read my books. I can email my friends, I can shop online, I can chat on Facebook, I can play games.

Everything is much faster than my laptop and the picture quality is excellent.

Most reactions