What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Disappointed by Quality of Available iPad3 Cases

gabey8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, since my hubby is always wondering what to get me for my anniversary, I was able to place a request for the Otterbox Defender. But since our anniversary isn't until May, I can't write a review of that one yet. Talk to me in about five weeks, and I'll have some Otterbox feedback.

sharkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the Griffin Intellicase ~ like many here, as a first case while i find one i like more later. Ive been using it for two weeks and love it. Its lightweight, protects the back. The build and quality is decent, thought 99 Singapore dollars may be a bit high to pay for a piece of plastic. Still, if im going to use it daily for my reading and couching surfing, it'll pay for itself soon.

My iPad 1 was used fondly daily till i switched. I was using the original case all the time and didnt switch. Despite many temptations. I think l'll stick to the intellicase.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
6mildollarman,

Does the wake/sleep function work with the Targus?

I have a similar case here...I will post a few pics in a minute.

Last edited:

Patrizia_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try www.oberondesign.com
They are made to order and worth every dime. They are done in the US by a small family company and no mass production. They have been in business over 40 years. I have some Oberon pieces i have had over 20 years, this will outlast your device. I think you will be pleased with the work and the quality.

Last edited:

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
6mildollarman,

Does the wake/sleep function work with the Targus?

I have a similar case here...I will post a few pics in a minute.

Yes, the function works with both of the cases I have.

wholesalestunna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using the iFrogz summit case and I love it. I have seen very little about it here but picked one up from amazon and have not looked back. Great case!

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should but the Outerbox Defender Case for your Ipad, I purchase this for my IPAD and I love it, not only does it look great and provided the best protection, it looks and feels great in your hand.

Mauriciovsky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should but the Outerbox Defender Case for your Ipad, I purchase this for my IPAD and I love it, not only does it look great and provided the best protection, it looks and feels great in your hand.

That's true, I just got an otterbox case for mine and the quality is really outstanding, that's why a lot of people recommend it. I got mine from casesforthenewipad.com delivered pretty fast, they have good price on the cases.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Otterbox Defender cases are like "armored vehicles" - way overkill for an iPad in my experience. Totally takes away all the sleekness of an iPad. Adds a lot of weight to the case too which was a deal killer for me. I agree with the person who said - don't drop your iPad! You don't need a case for protection with an iPad - you need sleek functionality - hence the name "folio" and not "case". My iPad never leaves my briefcase unless in use in a safe stable work area. Plain and simple it won't ever fall.

I ended up with the Dexim folio with magnetic bluetooth keyboard (detachable). Little thicker than I'd hoped for - but light and very functional. Landscape only mode - which solves a lot of other design problems that, I think, make cases cheaper in design as the OP has observed.

Lot of cool cases to look through here with all the links you all have provided. Thanks!

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the incipio feather case on mine. I've had the same case on I'll my idevices and love it. Great fit and once on its not too bulky to annoy you. I have that and a smart cover. And also a belling zip up cover to place it in when on a journey or something.

Sent from my iPad 3

ChuckinSC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Andy, I sure wish Incipio made a Feather for the new iPad - one that would work without the Smart Cover. That's what I have on my iPad2 (went to my wife). I'm not sure why they haven't made it and my guess that the one for the iPad2 is just a little too small to fit?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Andy, I sure wish Incipio made a Feather for the new iPad - one that would work without the Smart Cover. That's what I have on my iPad2 (went to my wife). I'm not sure why they haven't made it and my guess that the one for the iPad2 is just a little too small to fit?

They have made this...it is called the smart feather for the new iPad...this is what Andy i using. Check amazon. I have one and it works great cover or without.

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-IPAD-...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335104863&sr=1-1

Reaction score
I have 2 Recommendations that I stand behind %100! I've owned the same cases previous models for the iPad 2 and I loved both of them so much that when I bought the iPad3 I looked to see if they had newer ones out because they didn't fit the 3 as well as the 2. - Both Companies made newer ones!

1st Otterbox Defender (NEW for iPad 2 & 3) - I had one for the 2 and my only complaint was it's 2 pieces (the cover which also acts as a stand) and the other complaint is that the rubber cover or whatever it is, stretches out after a while and doesn't fit as clean as it use too.
-As far as my second complaint about the rubber cover - they also had the same problem with the iPhone cases and when the iPhone 4s came out Otterbox released newer models with a different type of rubber that DOES NOT STRETCH OUT Half as bad as the previous ones. They also put this new type of rubber on the new Otterbox Defender case for the iPad3 which made me extremely happy. Only thing I didn't like about the new OBD Case for the iPad2&3 is that it comes with a built in screen protector. Maybe most people like it - but having the iPad 3 I went and had the ZAGG HD Screen protector put on (enough of a difference to put it on if your going to ask) so the extra screen protector that's a THICK PLASTIC is pointless - SO - I popped out the screen protector and cleaned out all the remaining glue.
-NOW- What I did to kind of give it a little more cushion and protection from letting dirt and dust get in east from the screen side was I went to Lowes and purchased some Windows Weather Stripping that's very thing and sticky on one side. I lined the inside of the front of the case so that the foam/rubbery part would press up against the glass of the ipad when I enclose it in the case. This now helps keep all the dirt/dust and evrything else from easliy getting inside the case through the front open peice. It's not a complete seal since it's open in other area's so it's not meant to make it air tight or anything - but it works great!!

2nd - Targus - Versau - This is almost like the other Targus case mentioned in this thread but I like this one MUCH MUCH Better! It has the 360 ability so i rotates for different stand positions for both Landscape and Vertical. It has I think 7 different stand positions and it also has the magnet int the cover to turn the ipad on and off feature, and then also a little spot to put the stylus. Now the one I bought is DEFECTIVE - the magnet is in backwards so it doesn't turn the ipad on and off when I open and close it - and 3 of the positions that it stands in are not that sturdy - it slips out easily. SO READ ON!!
--I Emailed Targus about this issue since I spent $60 and LOVED the 1st one I bought for the iPad2 and was a bit let down - THEY REPLIED THE NEXT DAY!! - They appolgized and was aware of the issue and was currently in the process of completing the changes to fix the problems. They just requested I give them the exact model and email/fax a copy of my receipt and once the new fixed ones are completed they would ship one out to me FREE OF CHARGE AND I CAN KEEP THE OLD ONE! So in my eyes TARGUS scored major points with me - they owned up to the flaw in their product and well made up for ti with me by sending me a new fixed one also letting me keep the old one (Still works great except for the magnet on/off - who cares :) )

-I have 2 because %80 I have my iPad3 in the Targus case for everyday day to day stuff - but when I'm doing certain things or letting my son play with my ipad i put the OBDefender case on it and I don't worry about a thing. I am very OCD when it comes to keeping my stuff clean and perfect- I actually take my ipad3/iphone4s out of the cases about once a week to clean the inside and out and to this day all my stuff remains in MINT condition.
I STAND BEHIND BOTH CASES %100 - I might pick up that strap adapter case that Otterbox makes for the Defender case - anyone else have one already? LMK
-Good Luck!!

Most reactions