What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very comfortable way of writing/drawing/typing on iPad

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is an early-stage prototype that a friend is making for me. That piece of aluminium is used as a bridge that spans the screen and gives the user something to rest his/her hand on. In-app palm-protection? Meh.

There will be hinges at the top so that the arm-rest swings up to reveal storage for cords, styluses. Home-button will be accessible without lifting lid. The screen is not quite as "sunken" as the picture suggests.

It's not meant to be portable. It's just to enable me to write, draw and type on the iPad comfortably for long periods at a stretch.

Attachments

• 20012011341.jpg
    20012011341.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 728
  • 20012011344.jpg
    20012011344.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 652
OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I thought about gloves but gave up on the idea after trying to use a rag made out a t-shirt. Have you successfully used gloves?

The other reason for this thingummyjig (c'mon man, humour me and call it The PadBox) is to save wear-and-tear on my forearms, wrists, shoulders, back and hands.

True, it hides the beauty of the gadget, but that kind of appeals to the twisted, angry little elf that lives inside of me.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting concept but if you are so committed to improving your set up for drawing and mobility is not a consideration then would you not be better served using a proper drawing table device?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've used some fingerless cotton gloves. They worked well enough, but were a little too thick to make things really comfortable. Also, I had to watch my pinky to make sure it didn't touch the screen.

Ideally, I think a thin leather glove would work best. I'll be looking around good comfortable fit. Then I'll cut off the thumb and first two fingers. That's all you need to hold a stylus and make most of the gestures that drawing apps want.

I'm actually thinking the "PadBox" is pretty cool. The arm and back saving features would be nice. And the fact that it is made of wood, that ever so pretty stuff, makes up for what other little cosmetic failures it may have.

The only downside I see is that it will be bulky to rotate the iPad. When I draw I lock the screen so I can get at the iPad from any side or angle. That makes drawing the line you want much easier.

Anyway, looks like a cool project. After it is finished and well tested you'll have to come back and give us a report.

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting concept but if you are so committed to improving your set up for drawing and mobility is not a consideration then would you not be better served using a proper drawing table device?
Do proper drawing table devices have a rectangular hole cut out of the middle of them? :)

The screen of the iPad has to be flush with, or lower than the surrounding surface (preferably lower, so that I can use my metal iBridge).

However, will do more research on gloves.

makes up for what other little cosmetic failures it may have.
Little cosmetic failures? Little cosmetic failures?

The only downside I see is that it will be bulky to rotate the iPad. When I draw I lock the screen so I can get at the iPad from any side or angle. That makes drawing the line you want much easier.
I agree. It only does portrait or landscape, nothing in between like what you might do to a sheet of paper.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm assuming the surface is inclined to make typing easier.

A sort of iPad lectern.....

Had you thought of replacing the aluminium with a piece of dowel?
In Dickens time they used rods as rulers and just rolled up and down the page.

Most reactions

Latest posts