What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Basic Question

Jomcgrath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a new user, but I find that whatever I am doing - reading, etc. - I hit something and then I am off to an ad or some other unwanted screen and I can't get back to what I was doing. How do I get back?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some websites are crowded with ads. It's a pain, especially on a Mini. In general, you just have to be careful where you tap, and make sure you fingers are not drifting too far over the bezel and registering as touches. Especially on the right side which on many sites are nothing but adds.

As for getting back. It is tricky. Some adds will open up a new tab. Check to make sure the original site is still in another tab. If it is, close the ad's tab and go back to reading. If the ad opened up in the same tab, the blue back arrow at the top left is your best bet. If the add opened up as a window on top of the current site, then you have to look for that itty-bitty (x) that Agent1191 mentioned, in the top right corner of the add, usually.

There are a couple other things you can do.

If what you are reading is a column of text, making sure you are not tapping on a link, double tap on that column and it should zoom in to read just that column. Since the ads aren't showing, you won't accidentally tap on them. You can also use the pinch gesture to zoom in, if the double tap sin't doing the job.

When you scroll, don't place your finger on the screen and then move it. Instead, have your finger moving as you touch the screen. This insures that the iPad has no time to decide you wanted to tap instead of scroll. This happens to me sometimes when I start to scroll, but hesitate for some reason just as I touch the screen. It's only a problem if your finger happens to land on a link, which is why I make a habit of using the scroll swipe on the content I'm reading, and not on the screen in general.

On many sites you can use the Reader mode. Keep an eye on the URL bar. If you see an icon that looks like some text lines on the left, inside the bar, then Reader mode is available. Tap the icon and Safari will try to reduce the site to just the story's text and pictures. Results vary, but when it works it is a nice, clean way to read the article.

Tap the icon again to exit Reader mode, so that you can continue.

Good luck.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You may want to check out the Adblock browser from the AppStore. It comes with a trial then you have to purchase a one-time license that lasts forever. It's pretty effective from the few weeks I've used it. Or, you can jailbreak your device and purchase a $2.19 Adblocker that essentially blocks ads from all sites/apps, including the free ones that spam you with ads left and right like Candy Crush Saga or Ruzzle if you don't want to purchase a premium account.

Most reactions

Latest posts