What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon mini - Sim Card Question

Rondo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be purchasing an ipad 3 with cell/datacapability. It will also be used whiletraveling overseas. Will the Verizonversion allow me to purchase and change sim cards while in Europe like the ATTversion?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will be purchasing an ipad 3 with cell/datacapability. It will also be used whiletraveling overseas. Will the Verizonversion allow me to purchase and change sim cards while in Europe like the ATTversion?

G'day Rondo and welcome to the forum. Your Verizon iPad has an internal Sim card which uses the CDMA Network although it also boasts a micro-sim card slot. In Europe almost all mobile phones are on the GSM network, so may not at all times be useful over there.

However, you correctly indicate that the AT&T version works on the GSM network. So how to get it over to AT&T? You can exchange your sim card to an AT&T GSM Sim card. Just be aware that you will not be getting 4-G speeds, only 3-G. See THIS on how all this could work.

Regards, Andrewddc28

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moderator edit: Removed Blog link/not permitted/link is broken.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hafbakt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the Verizon Mini the ultimate traveler?

Noticed that the Verizon version is capable of receiving more cell frequencies than the AT&T version. It is supposedly unlocked, has a sim card tray, and requires no contract. Does this mean I could buy Verizon Mini and use an AT&T sim in it in the US? Is there any advantage to the Verizon version for travel out of country?

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hafbakt said:
Noticed that the Verizon version is capable of receiving more cell frequencies than the AT&T version. It is supposedly unlocked, has a sim card tray, and requires no contract. Does this mean I could buy Verizon Mini and use an AT&T sim in it in the US? Is there any advantage to the Verizon version for travel out of country?

Are you sure it's a Verizon iPad? CDMA carriers usually doesn't use SIM cards. That's more of an AT&T/T-Mobile deal due to the fact those carriers use GSM.

Sent from my AT&T iPad Mini 16gb

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hafbakt said:

Verizon does not support GSM, it's in fact a CDMA company. If you want to travel outside of the USA you need to be on a GSM carrier. My iPad (2nd Gen) was a Verizon and had no SIM tray.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Verizon does not support GSM, it's in fact a CDMA company. If you want to travel outside of the USA you need to be on a GSM carrier. My iPad (2nd Gen) was a Verizon and had no SIM tray.

Any Verizson device that supports LTE will have a SIM. That would include any wi-fi + cellular model, including the iPad Mini. The iPad 2 and iPhone 4S were the last models to not include a SIM tray.

Having the SIM tray is not necessarily enough to make it world compatible. Unlike GSM, LTE frequencies vary widely and there is no all frequency iOS device at this time. I understand that the hardware for this is still under development.

Since all tablets are unlocked, you should be able to use the iPad Mini wi-fi + cellular on any GSM network, provided you can get a SIM for it. You can even use a Verizon iPad on AT&T, if you have the SIM and are willing to settle for GSM.

I'm not certain about LTE in other countries. You'll need to research what bands they use and whether you can get SIM cards. There are members here that should know a lot more about LTE availability overseas than I do. Europe has only started widespread implementation of LTE over the last several months.

Here are the iPad Mini specs for reference. Apple - iPad mini - Technical specifications

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts