What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon is better than AT&T, again

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What gives? AT&T’s HSPA 3G network is completely independent of their 2G infrastructure. Verizon’s EVDO 3G network, on the other hand, shares resources with its 2G network – ferrying voice and data communications over the same infrastructure. That might provide Verizon with a more widespread 3G coverage map, but because Verizon gives voice communications priority over data, Verizon’s data network suffers as more voice calls hit the network. AT&T simply reroutes voice communications to its 2G network when capacity becomes an issue, leaving the “pipes” wide open for data services.

I have no major gripes with Verizon or AT&T, but when people actually believe the propaganda they spew, it is ridiculous. Neither AT&T nor Verizon can handle the growth of data demand.

rdharper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just did a search....looks fairly accurate to me...there have been several members here that said there is no 3G in Montana, and I see in Arizona the only parts that have 3G coverage are listed, so that's correct, and I notice that anywhere outside of El Paso in west Texas is worthless, which is correct...

So it's close enough to me to prove a point.

Try
AT&T Coverage Viewer

I suspect AT&T is being conservative. That has been my own experience. The map Verizon shows, shows their orientation to "facts", imho.
I understand the AT&T map on your link is showing coverage, but I didn't see where it said what areas were general data coverage in comparison to 3G. I might have missed it since I just glanced at it.

Take another look. Both are shown with selectable tabs. Plus you can expand on any area. I used this map before I bought an iPhone. It turned out be correct... So now I have both an iPhone and an iPad. My kindle sits, as it does not work where I am... Which I believe is Verizon.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no tab to switch between 3G and EDGE...the blue you see is for both. You can tell it's complete BS because when you are in Nation view they only have one color for data. When you zoom in is only when you get the different shades of blue for 3G and EDGE. If you look at Nation view, my town is covered, but when you zoom in there isn't 3G within an hour and a half....very misleading.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I've gotta say, I see what Matth3w is saying here. You zoom in and 3G for AT&T starts going away very quickly.

I'm not going to say each carrier doesn't play shell games. They do. AT&T is just as guilty as everyone else.

But if it's working for you, that's excellent. I'd prefer there stay competition out there. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, I want them all to stay in business as competition keeps them all somewhat honest and helps keep the rates at least partially in check.

AT&T and Verizon, as well as others, are subjective depending on where you live. It's funny that each actually seems to do better in other areas.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ALL businesses play shell games...I agree...this just ticks me off. I have never been to a place where the Nation map shows data coverage with Verizon as opposed to AT&T...where it's misleading all the time. One of the reasons I switched from AT&T.

Even in Pittsburgh where AT&T is covered, it switches from 3G to EDGE and back and forth, dropping calls, slowing things down, heating up the phone, and wasting battery. When I used to come home to visit with my AT&T phones I'd have to turn off 3G completely so my battery would last more than half a day. I'd get CONSTANT dropped calls, hell I'd get the call failed to complete with full bars. When I go home with Verizon, no issues whatsoever.

BTW rdharper - Newer Kindles use AT&T, older Kindles use Sprint/Nextell, not Verizon, so you can dispell that notion.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
ALL businesses play shell games...I agree...this just ticks me off. I have never been to a place where the Nation map shows data coverage with Verizon as opposed to AT&T...where it's misleading all the time. One of the reasons I switched from AT&T.

Even in Pittsburgh where AT&T is covered, it switches from 3G to EDGE and back and forth, dropping calls, slowing things down, heating up the phone, and wasting battery. When I used to come home to visit with my AT&T phones I'd have to turn off 3G completely so my battery would last more than half a day. I'd get CONSTANT dropped calls, hell I'd get the call failed to complete with full bars. When I go home with Verizon, no issues whatsoever.

BTW rdharper - Newer Kindles use AT&T, older Kindles use Sprint/Nextell, not Verizon, so you can dispell that notion.

So Matth3w, tell us what you REALLY think. ROFL

BTW, I also can't use AT&T because I'm in one of the terrible coverage areas on the eastside of Atlanta and it doesn't do well at all going to Charleston, a trip I make a lot. I've streamed data on my Verizon from Atlanta to Charleston and it never missed a beat on the entire trip.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do a lot of driving in the states around me. The Verizon map is nonsense in that I am very familiar with the numerous dead zones in areas they claim coverage. The AT&T map is a lot more accurate about showing their dead zones. And everyone is about 3G, thinking it is better. The problem is that you can get better speed from a good Edge connection than from an overloaded 3G connection. It is not as much the type of network as it is the capacity vs the demand.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BS on the EDGE speeds. I had AT&T here where they only had EDGE and it's slower than 56k, even at full strength.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strength has nothing to do with traffic speed. 3G has more potential speed, but actual speed depends on several factors. Any bottleneck reduces speed possible and a high amount of traffic will reduces the number of channels that can be used per individual.

rdharper

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have a 6 month old Kindle using Verizon. No reception... Had to go to town to download my books.

My iPad, which I'm using here, and my iPhone both work in house or anywhere in the area.

Glad I could show you how to use the maps. Your claim that zooming gives you misleading data is correct. AT&T shows I don't get reception here, which I do. Verizon zoom, shows I should get reception here, which I don't.

As to the ethics of Verizon versus AT&T, there is no question that Verizon is a shark, and has been from it's roots. AT&T is an ethical company, and has been, from it's roots. Your own flim-flam back peddling fits well with Verizon. It's a perfect fit. They should pay you, as well they may be. ;)

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 6 month old Kindle using Verizon. No reception... Had to go to town to download my books.
Again, Verizon does not provide the cell network for the Kindle.

The Kindle hardware device uses an E Ink brand electronic paper display that features 16 shades of gray. It wirelessly downloads content over Amazon's Whispernet using the Sprint EVDO network in the USA. Newer Kindle 2 devices use AT&T's network and its roaming partners for international wireless access.[3] The Kindle hardware device is used without a computer connection, and Amazon Whispernet is accessible without any monthly fee or wireless subscription.[4] All Kindle models provide free access to the Internet in the U.S. over cellular networks.

rdharper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Again, Verizon does not provide the cell network for the Kindle.

The Kindle hardware device uses an E Ink brand electronic paper display that features 16 shades of gray. It wirelessly downloads content over Amazon's Whispernet using the Sprint EVDO network in the USA. Newer Kindle 2 devices use AT&T's network and its roaming partners for international wireless access.[3] The Kindle hardware device is used without a computer connection, and Amazon Whispernet is accessible without any monthly fee or wireless subscription.[4] All Kindle models provide free access to the Internet in the U.S. over cellular networks.

I'm wrong. Which means I need to borrow a Droid. Although I'm really happy with Apple products and AT&T. And I hope I'm wrong on Verizon's current mind set. Even a company deserves redemption.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As to the ethics of Verizon versus AT&T, there is no question that Verizon is a shark, and has been from it's roots. AT&T is an ethical company, and has been, from it's roots. Your own flim-flam back peddling fits well with Verizon. It's a perfect fit. They should pay you, as well they may be. ;)

haha they are all sharks. Even ATT when they were suing Verizon over the map ads didnt dispute the accuracy of the maps. There is no question that Verizon has more high speed data coverage. Of course none of that matters if you dont travel much. All that really matters is what kind coverage you have where you actually need it.

My experience so far with Edge is that Edge = No connection. It took over 5 minutes for google maps to load a while back with full bars. And that was one of the few times it actually was able to do anything on Edge. Luckily I get pretty good 3G coverage where I live, so ATT is great for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts