What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon iPad

OP
earlyadopter

earlyadopter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea, they stated that about 30% of the new iPads will be CDMA Verizon iPads. I am currently trying to lay out my buying strategy for 2011.

Hum, go with a WiFi only iPad 2 and tether to the future iPhone 5 or keep my current phone and get a Verizon iPad 2.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't plan to buy gen 2 but we do use our 2 Wifi only Ipads with the mobile hot spot on the Palm Pre bought just after the Ipad came out. They offered the data plan free at that time. We've been fairly longtime Verizon users so were up for the 2 year upgrade so it was a quite cheap way to go. That's the reason we opted for the wifi versions. Next purchase we will likely choose the 4G version with Verizon but that's still a year and half away when our contracts are up. Doubt we buy an Iphone since i carry the Ipad all the time and can do with fairly basic phone. I'd say decide if you will have Ipad with you all the time or rely on your phone for a lot of data. In that casr I'd probably choose wifi and use mobile hot spot but it wouod depend upon the restrictiions of the data plan for each.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I read in the Verizon statement today, their IPhone will be able to function as a wifi hotspot for up to 5 devices.

zrome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SBHOKC said:
From what I read in the Verizon statement today, their IPhone will be able to function as a wifi hotspot for up to 5 devices.

Indeed.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So one would have to buy a new iPad to connect to them?

Not necessarilly. One could connect any existing iPad using a Verizon smartphone via tethering, or using Verizon's mifi.

In addition to these options, Verizon recently showed off it's new 4G LTE mifi at CES.

With 4G WiMax already here and 4G LTE right around the corner, one could save the $130 (the current price difference for a GSM 3G equipped iPad), and apply it toward a 4G mobile hotspot/mifi, instead.

JohnMorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon Wireless is launching iPad 2 this year with unlimited data connectivity. It will soon come with CDMA 3G and WIFI.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is NOT a Varizon Special iPAD
It is a special iPAD 3G for CDMA . There are still some other old / Primitive Cellular providers in the world that are still using CDMA, that needs that type of technology on the iPAD besides Varizon.

eltos_lightfoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This one honestly depends on where you live. The towers near me are all EVDO (CDMA) Verizon. AT&T bought out Alltel here, and is putting in a GSM network, but it still won't have a tower near me. So...antiquated old CDMA it is for me. Since I live 10 miles from the nearest town, I can live with getting 150 to 200 Kilobytes per second....(Note that is KB, for kilobits you have to multiply by 8: 1200 - 1600 kb...

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So one would have to buy a new iPad to connect to them?

Not necessarilly. One could connect any existing iPad using a Verizon smartphone via tethering, or using Verizon's mifi.

In addition to these options, Verizon recently showed off it's new 4G LTE mifi at CES.

With 4G WiMax already here and 4G LTE right around the corner, one could save the $130 (the current price difference for a GSM 3G equipped iPad), and apply it toward a 4G mobile hotspot/mifi, instead.

I'd consider that if I was buying today. The Palm Pre Plus we have is capable of tethering 5 devices too but so is the new Verizon Iphone. We've only had 2 at a time tethered but that worked fine. The mifi is so small I'd be more tempted with that though . I was never tempted by AT&T because their service here is not stellar. As someone said, I'd consider your area and data plans if buying now.

I've said before I/we use free wifi (plus our own) almost all the time. In our small NC city its available so many places from our DT square to grocery stores to libraries to restaurants, car dealers, doctors' offices, book stores that we rarely need to use the mobile hot spot. Mostly when traveling.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts