What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon iPad runs on AT&T?

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Saw a note on the Internet which stated: Verizon iPad also runs on AT&T with sim card inserted in the Verizon device.

I wouldn't even know how to get a sim card into my Verizon 4G iPad. It definitely has something sticking out on the side, but it doesn't move and may be just what covers up the slot where the AT&T model would have the sim card inserted.

Anyone with more knowledge about this journalistic BS?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There have been at least a couple of sites that have reported getting the Verizon iPad to connect to AT&T's 3G (not 4G) network by using an AT&T SIM. One said it just worked. Another detailed a short procedure. I wouldn't play with it myself until a few more people have experimented and confirmed this; but I am not surprised. The specs make it clear that the iPad has the necessary hardware to operate on AT&T's GSM network.

Since Verizon LTE also uses a SIM card, you've probably already got a SIIM card in your iPad (if you have 4G service). Your iPad should have come with a little SIM ejector tool. To eject the SIM tray you insert the pointy end into the small hole next to the slot.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll try that tomorrow. I was wondering what that piece of wire was good for. I have an micro sim from an ATT iPhone 4s. With Verizon I have 2 bars at home. Would be nice to know whether ATT has a better signal. NO wi-fi at home either.
Go to the library (10 miles from home) to get decent wifi. Thanks for the info.

There have been at least a couple of sites that have reported getting the Verizon iPad to connect to AT&T's 3G (not 4G) network by using an AT&T SIM. One said it just worked. Another detailed a short procedure. I wouldn't play with it myself until a few more people have experimented and confirmed this; but I am not surprised. The specs make it clear that the iPad has the necessary hardware to operate on AT&T's GSM network.

Since Verizon LTE also uses a SIM card, you've probably already got a SIIM card in your iPad (if you have 4G service). Your iPad should have come with a little SIM ejector tool. To eject the SIM tray you insert the pointy end into the small hole next to the slot.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wildfire said:
I'll try that tomorrow. I was wondering what that piece of wire was good for. I have an micro sim from an ATT iPhone 4s. With Verizon I have 2 bars at home. Would be nice to know whether ATT has a better signal. NO wi-fi at home either.
Go to the library (10 miles from home) to get decent wifi. Thanks for the info.

You are welcome. Please let us know how it works.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You are welcome. Please let us know how it works.

Sorry, I didn't have the guts to do it:-(
Had too much fun testing Verizon's 4G

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
ATT stores sell the micro sim for like $10.

Also it should show you signal strength before purchasing data, since it connects to att in order for the ipad to be able to process your data plan purchasing. Just need to have the simcard in there

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MikesTooLz said:
ATT stores sell the micro sim for like $10.

Also it should show you signal strength before purchasing data, since it connects to att in order for the ipad to be able to process your data plan purchasing. Just need to have the simcard in there

Actually I have a micro sim card for AT&T. However, on second thought, I don't need to test the signal because I returned their iPhone 4s because at my home all I got was a No Service ore ONE bar. So unless it was an antenna problem, the iPad won't to much better That's why I went with the iPad 4G with Verizon. I get 2 bars and LTE when I go to San Antonio.

MisterEd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It works fine. I am using an ATT SIM in a VZW iPad without problem. I am getting full HSPA+ (8-10MBps) download. No LTE, but their "faux" 4G works fine.

Edit: The only issue is you can't set up the iPad data account on the VZW iPad. You need an already active iPad sim or you can probably set it up online at www.att.com/ipad and click on "Add more prepaid data."

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts