What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon iPad 2 will run Netflix on 3g but not wifi

grega52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had Netflix installed for a few weeks but had not tried streaming on it. Our office has only had these ipad 2's for a couple of weeks. Our CFO walked in today saying he just tried his Netflix app and it wouldn't run any movies or tv shows. I tried my pad since we are both Netflix members. My pad did the exact same thing--says it's loading and then returns to the screen where you selected the media from. We have a very robust wifi system in our offices. Suspecting a restriction on the work wifi I tried it on my home wifi with the exact same result--nothing! I have a dedicated 2 mg pipe and I stream Netflix off my wii all the time. I disabled the wifi on the iPad 2, and rolled to 3G, tried it again and it worked perfectly.

Any help is appreciated! The purpose of having wifi is to save 3G charges, especially with bandwidth hogs like movies and tv.

Azvjc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting. The Netflix app works perfectly on wifi with my AT&T version and the wifi only version. Wonder if this is a bug. Have you checked the reviews for the Netflix app on the app store?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been watching Netflix on my Ipad since last Summer without any issues (gen 1 wifi only). Maybe install and reinstall app? I just tried it now and it resumed with movie at spot I was watching with Apple TV on TV. So--must be an issue with something specific at your end. I have not gotten around to installing 4.3 though. You can contact Netflix also and may get a reply though generally they respond more to an issue with specific movie.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have wifi only iPad 2 and Netflix runs on it very good . Maybe you should try to reboot then see what happens .

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've streamed lots of Netflix movies and TV episodes via wi-fi on iPad 1. Works great. I've used it on at least three wi-fi networks without a hiccup. Starting to stream on my iPad 2, too. Haven't had any problems. Both my iPads are 3G, but no need for me to stream that way when wi-fi works well.

Virix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Verizon 3g model and Netflix works fine over wifi. Sorry I cant be much help, but its definitely not happening to everyone.

rdolson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad 2 yesterday. It is a 64G WiFi only (no 3G). Downloaded the Netflix app and I am getting the problem where you choose to watch or continue a movie and it briefly goes to the red Netflix screen then flips back to the movie selection screen. It never gets to the point of displaying a movie.

Watching streaming Netflix was one of the main reasons I purchased the iPad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

formengr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rdolson said:
I just got my iPad 2 yesterday. It is a 64G WiFi only (no 3G). Downloaded the Netflix app and I am getting the problem where you choose to watch or continue a movie and it briefly goes to the red Netflix screen then flips back to the movie selection screen. It never gets to the point of displaying a movie.

Watching streaming Netflix was one of the main reasons I purchased the iPad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

this is the same situation i have. i spent an hour plus yesterday on phone with mostly netflix, but also isp, and apple. last ditch from netflix after reinstalling app, rebooting modem/router, resetting network on ipad, and various other things, is to restore ipad 2 to factory settings. I have not done it yet, but will. i read on the web that the restore has and has not had success and am curious what others' experience is. fwiw, netflix worked fine on ipad a month ago and various other streaming devices of mine run netflix fine.

formengr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i found a fix other than restore, which i doubt would have worked anyway after researching. the issue appears to be an apple proxie/access issue combined with router settings.

i don't have enough posts here to post links, but google "Netflix stalls on iPad – Problem Resolved" and you should get a jpwhiteblog(dot)net result. end run is one needs to change the DNS addy in the settings>network area. it makes sense now as Netflix folks (actually only the 1st of four i spoke with) said they were sure it was a DNS issue i should take up with my isp, which made no sense to me at the time, and my isp threw up their hands and fwd'd me to their service to try to resolve (whereby i hung up!). makes sense to me because it works as 3G but not as wifi. i use DD-WRT routers (2 in fact) so when i saw this, i figured why not. for what it's worth, i am using my isp's DNS addy vs those referenced in the link. there's an alternative to changing this setting by dinking around with your router's DNSmasq settings, but folks on here don't seem so tech as that so i will not describe, but google's your friend if you are!

DevinB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
formengr-

I've had the same issue at my house, where I also have a router running dd-wrt. When I get home tonight I'll look at my dns address, see where that takes me. Thanks for posting a follow-up!

:followup:

I changed my DNS to what the website you suggested said, and everything works fine. Thank you!!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts