What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon 4G LTE

johnchart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thinking about getting Verizon 4G LTE for my Mini. Don't understand the coverage. Can you get coverage when you are out on an interstate highway in Texas or where ever or do you get it only in the towns they show on their coverage map? I live in Eastern Iowa in zip code 52205 & there is no coverage here. I use wi-fi at home. I need coverage when I travel on vacations.

Help appreciated.

John

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You only get it where they have coverage...that's the purpose of the map....to let you know if it is going to be useful to you. Also, you get the gps chip when you get the cellular version, so you will be able to do gps navigation if you get maps that are stored on your device (assuming you don't have cellular service).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind you'll get 3G coverage when LTE is not available, and Verizon has the largest 3G coverage footprint in the U.S.

Abneriel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been traveling through the western US for the last few weeks with my Verizon mini and have run into only a few areas where I've not had 3G coverage at the very least. I've also been surprised at some of the places Verizon has LTE coverage. Right now I'm in Butte, Montana, and have LTE available. I've been extremely satisfied.

If it makes a difference, this is my first iPad with cellular data capability. I originally picked up a wifi only mini and then returned it to utilize the GPS for the road trip (the mini fits perfectly into a slot on the dashboard, so the GPS enabled maps were a big plus). It has worked great, and I've been more than satisfied by the coverage and would make the same choice again without hesitation.

jdelrizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Texas, huh? I use to have Verizon on a smart phone and being in the army I've traveled plenty of times through Texas. On the drive from El Paso to fort hood I lost all signal no GPS and I couldn't make calls, actually I have a sprint iPhone right now and for some reason I very rarely lost signal on my iPhone last time I made that trip. I just remember the GPS taking me to a dirt road and then saying no service after that had to pull out the good old map to complete my trip!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like long road trips and have done cross-country (bicoastal and from north to south) and other long road trips many times, including twice across the whole of Texas and considerable time in Texas Hill Country, on the Texas Barbecue Trail and more. I have unlimited smart phone and iPad coverage, and still prefer using a Garmin GPS. Even in places without any cell coverage, I find that I still get a GPS signal. YMMV.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Texas, huh? I use to have Verizon on a smart phone and being in the army I've traveled plenty of times through Texas. On the drive from El Paso to fort hood I lost all signal no GPS and I couldn't make calls, actually I have a sprint iPhone right now and for some reason I very rarely lost signal on my iPhone last time I made that trip. I just remember the GPS taking me to a dirt road and then saying no service after that had to pull out the good old map to complete my trip!

Hard to believe you had no GPS signal. The satellites are in space so if you are outside they should provide you a signal nearly every place. However, there are places where there is no cellular service, so if you are depending on that for downloadable maps, then you can definitely get lost. I live in the south and there are many places of low population density, so I take no chances....I get maps on my device...either using caching (for Google maps) or using a Navigation app with its own maps, like Navigon or MotionX GPS drive.

I have had my garmin device take me to the middle of nowhere. IMO, no GPS device is 100% accurate, but most are improving. These days, I always have backup...garmin Nuvi, iPhone, tablet, car. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my garmin device take me to the middle of nowhere. IMO, no GPS device is 100% accurate, but most are improving. These days, I always have backup...garmin Nuvi, iPhone, tablet, car. :)

Agree. There's no 100 percent reliable device. I still have a Thomas Guide if all else fails, lol.

I remember road tripping with only paper maps, but all the electronic devices have really enriched road tripping, because it's so much easier to do things on the fly and to explore, eat and shop well even in unfamiliar places.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agree. There's no 100 percent reliable device. I still have a Thomas Guide if all else fails, lol.

I remember road tripping with only paper maps, but all the electronic devices have really enriched road tripping, because it's so much easier to do things on the fly and to explore, eat and shop well even in unfamiliar places.

Ah...the Thomas Guide....never left the house without one when I lived in LA....Those things were cool. If they have one for SC, it probably covers the entire state! :)

And road trips....back in my college days...I made a half-cross country trips from Houston to LA in May...then back in August...did that two times...then the third time it was LA to Houston to SC. Almost coast to coast. I miss those days...didn't have GPS then...Had to use those AAA trip tik things. Loved those too. My how times have changed. I stuff I dealt with them I would not put up with now...but I would love to do a long road trip again. I used to stay a Motel 6's across the country. Some were nice...some had roaches. Yick! :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah...the Thomas Guide....never left the house without one when I lived in LA....Those things were cool. If they have one for SC, it probably covers the entire state! :)

And road trips....back in my college days...I made a half-cross country trips from Houston to LA in May...then back in August...did that two times...then the third time it was LA to Houston to SC. Almost coast to coast. I miss those days...didn't have GPS then...Had to use those AAA trip tik things. Loved those too. My how times have changed. I stuff I dealt with them I would not put up with now...but I would love to do a long road trip again. I used to stay a Motel 6's across the country. Some were nice...some had roaches. Yick! :)

I still use AAA's TripTik tool when I plan a trip, because I like to throw in random cities and see immediately how far a place might take me, delete, add, etc. The TripTik app is kludgy, though, so I still use the Web version on laptop before I set off.

I'm flexible. I recently crossed most of the country on a trip and planned it the night before taking off, lol. I had one key place I wanted to go, and just kept adding places. Great trip.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still use AAA's TripTik tool when I plan a trip, because I like to throw in random cities and see immediately how far a place might take me, delete, add, etc. The TripTik app is kludgy, though, so I still use the Web version on laptop before I set off.

I'm flexible. I recently crossed most of the country on a trip and planned it the night before taking off, lol. I had one key place I wanted to go, and just kept adding places. Great trip.

I've been an AAA member forever. Hardly ever need to use it...sort of like insurance. I will check out the web version of TripTiks, though, as they were cool.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been an AAA member forever. Hardly ever need to use it...sort of like insurance. I will check out the web version of TripTiks, though, as they were cool.

Love AAA. Great for backup. I've used them a few times over the years and consider it well worthwhile.

Most recently, my vacation car (parked at vacation home) had a dead battery when I finally got back. Called AAA and they were there within the hour, changed out my battery for a reasonable price, and the mechanic told me how to get a trickle charger hooked up to my car, since I don't use it frequently.

I get the upgraded membership, just in case my car dies on a road trip and I need a long-distance tow.

Depending on which state you're in, some AAA offices have a computer kiosk that lets you renew your car registration by inputting your smog check. No DMV line and you get instant registration.

OP
J

johnchart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thinking about getting Verizon 4G LTE for my Mini. Don't understand the coverage. Can you get coverage when you are out on an interstate highway in Texas or where ever or do you get it only in the towns they show on their coverage map? I live in Eastern Iowa in zip code 52205 & there is no coverage here. I use wi-fi at home. I need coverage when I travel on vacations.

Help appreciated.

John
I am getting a little confused here. I don't need a GPS. I have a Garmin that gets me anywhere. What I want is to connect with the internet on my Mini while driving down the highway. The Verizon map shows solid red coverage for most of Texas & has little white circles by the towns. Just want to know if I get away from any town if I have coverage.

Help is appreciated.

John

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
johnchart said:
I am getting a little confused here. I don't need a GPS. I have a Garmin that gets me anywhere. What I want is to connect with the internet on my Mini while driving down the highway. The Verizon map shows solid red coverage for most of Texas & has little white circles by the towns. Just want to know if I get away from any town if I have coverage.

Help is appreciated.

John

Yes, you can access the Internet whilst on the road. The previous posts were talking about how an iPad with cellular data services can help you during your trip. The rule of thumb is if you can get on your cellphone in the middle of nowhere and make a call, you can get on an iPad with cellular data services and access the Internet. The coverage map is what Verizon's coverage looks like. However if you go somewhere not covered by Verizon, you'll get what is available locally.

Most reactions