What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vanishing iBooks

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Understood... So then how does one copy stuff to the computer if it's been downloaded to the iPad first? What am I missing?
When you download anything to your iPad, whether it is an app, music, video, iBook, whatever.... when you sync your iPad to iTunes on your computer, all of the "stuff" you downloaded on your iPad will automatically be transferred to your iTunes library on your computer. Honest. I swear. Its just that easy.

Stormyone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Understood... So then how does one copy stuff to the computer if it's been downloaded to the iPad first? What am I missing?
When you download anything to your iPad, whether it is an app, music, video, iBook, whatever.... when you sync your iPad to iTunes on your computer, all of the "stuff" you downloaded on your iPad will automatically be transferred to your iTunes library on your computer. Honest. I swear. Its just that easy.

Not so fast... here is the wrinkle... the laptop that I originally/initially synced the iPad with crashed. So I am using the new desktop that does not have all the initial stuff on it (I guess), so even though it is an authorized computer, the basic info and settings exist on the desktop... so the question is how can I get the current stuff that's on the iPad onto the desktop without losing it? I started to sync the apps and it showed an iPad screen minus all my recently added apps so I canceled before it could erase anything... so, suggestions?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not so fast... here is the wrinkle...
The first thing you need to do is give us ALL of the details of your situation. The key to getting a good answer is asking a good question! How on earth do you expect us to help you when you ask a question and then when someone answers it, you say, "Not so fast... here is the wrinkle...". We're not mind readers!!

Stormyone

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not so fast... here is the wrinkle...
The first thing you need to do is give us ALL of the details of your situation. The key to getting a good answer is asking a good question! How on earth do you expect us to help you when you ask a question and then when someone answers it, you say, "Not so fast... here is the wrinkle...". We're not mind readers!!

Actually, I thought you would appreciate the wrinkle given that you are the Pres of the Sarcasm Society.... Just kidding.... However, as I was reading your responses I thought I would get enough info without hijacking the thread to help my situation. Additionally I was trying to figure out why the computer was responding as it was when the thought occurred to me that this was the 2nd computer to be linked to my iPad.... So forgive my oversight, no more hidden details....

Stormyone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For what it's worth I stopped by the Apple store and got my problem resolved.... Basically if you syncing to a new computer you sign in to the iTunes store first, then connect the iPad. Go to the file menu and select transfer purchases from iPad. All the stuff will then be transferred to the new computer. Then you can perform a sync after selecting what stuff you want to sync. The computer will then backup the iPad and sync it.... Thank you all for your time...

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For what it's worth I stopped by the Apple store and got my problem resolved.... Basically if you syncing to a new computer you sign in to the iTunes store first, then connect the iPad. Go to the file menu and select transfer purchases from iPad. All the stuff will then be transferred to the new computer. Then you can perform a sync after selecting what stuff you want to sync. The computer will then backup the iPad and sync it.... Thank you all for your time...

Hmmmm! Could you check if all your pictures are still on the iPad?

I'm not convinced that everything backed up on the new host computer...

Stormyone

iPF Noob
Reaction score

All the photos are there....

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ooops! Sorry! That's not what I meant... Have all your pictures migrated to the host computer?
As I understood, certain media material on an iPad can not be transferred to another computer. The only pictures that can migrate are the ones you download in that single modifiable file, not the other ones. This is why I'd be surprised that a sync on a new host would be complete.

Stormyone

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ooops! Sorry! That's not what I meant... Have all your pictures migrated to the host computer?
As I understood, certain media material on an iPad can not be transferred to another computer. The only pictures that can migrate are the ones you download in that single modifiable file, not the other ones. This is why I'd be surprised that a sync on a new host would be complete.

I'll check this evening.....

Stormyone

iPF Noob
Reaction score

No they are not on the new computer, although I never placed them on the computer initially.....so I suppose you are right...

Most reactions