1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Vanishing iBooks

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by sirandrewmuir, Oct 4, 2010.

1. sirandrewmuir

sirandrewmuir iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Everytime I download an iBook rom the store it vanishes into my computer where I dn't want to read it. Can anyone tell me please how to get them back to my iPad. Thanks
    Andrew
  2. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The only way to purchase iBooks is on your iPad itself. You can't read iBooks on your computer, only on your iPad.
  3. sirandrewmuir

sirandrewmuir iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I understand that but how can I read them on my ipad if they vanish as soon as I connect to my computer and never to return ---unless????
    Andrew
  4. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Heuuuuu let me say it’s wrong lah !!!you can read it your computer using Stanza or Adobe Digital all your book are located in iTunes folder

for reply at the initial question of Siran you should check in Itunes in the book section you have select ''automatically update ''
  5. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Pardon me, but the OP specifically said "iBooks" which is a registered trademark of the Apple corporation. At the present time, there is no iBooks program that allows one to read iBooks on your computer. They can only be read on an Apple mobile device.

Now it is possible that he could have meant this in the more generic term of books in electronic form which are available from a variety of sources.
  6. sirandrewmuir

sirandrewmuir iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But I din't want to read them on my computer I WANT TI READ THEM ON MY iPad - nut every time i download an ibook hey get taken off the iäd shelf and end up in my computer. How do I get them back PLEASE HELP
  7. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    As long as you're talking about actual iBooks, the ones you buy from Apple, about the only way they could "vanish" from your iPad would be if you did not have the Sync Books option checked in iTunes. If it is NOT checked, then the books will stay on your computer after you sync, but they will not be put back on your iPad.

[​IMG]
  8. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Love your graphics, Scott!:)
  9. The Alternative

The Alternative iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Love Snag-it 10
  10. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Well, you know what they say --

[​IMG]
  11. Stormyone

Stormyone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So are you all saying that things should be downloaded to the computer then transferred to the iPad? I synced last night and none of the books I downloaded to the iPad are on the computer. I got the warning that if I synced books, they would be removed from the iPad. So in essence they need to be on the computer AND on the iPad?
  12. sirandrewmuir

sirandrewmuir iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's what I call service - screen shot plus arrows did the trick..
    Andrew
  13. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Let say like this: the philosophy of Apple for the iPad: it should be attached to a computer (for future up date and sync) so everything you have in your device have to be transferred in the computer witch your device is paired if you download a book , a sound, or a video is the same … when you plug it he will transfer all in the computer …. so if in the same time you have not set to sync this media he will vanish all you have download from you iPad … iTunes is not that complicated just need to be set one time and after … enjoy your device
  14. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Glad I could help! Working with these Apple mobile devices can be confusing at first.

I also suggest that you get the iPad User Guide. It is a free download from the Apple website --

Apple - Support - Manuals

And as long as your using iBooks, it is also available as a free iBook from the iBook Store.
  15. Stormyone

Stormyone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Understood... So then how does one copy stuff to the computer if it's been downloaded to the iPad first? What am I missing?
  16. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    When you download anything to your iPad, whether it is an app, music, video, iBook, whatever.... when you sync your iPad to iTunes on your computer, all of the "stuff" you downloaded on your iPad will automatically be transferred to your iTunes library on your computer. Honest. I swear. Its just that easy.
  17. Stormyone

Stormyone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not so fast... here is the wrinkle... the laptop that I originally/initially synced the iPad with crashed. So I am using the new desktop that does not have all the initial stuff on it (I guess), so even though it is an authorized computer, the basic info and settings exist on the desktop... so the question is how can I get the current stuff that's on the iPad onto the desktop without losing it? I started to sync the apps and it showed an iPad screen minus all my recently added apps so I canceled before it could erase anything... so, suggestions?
  18. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The first thing you need to do is give us ALL of the details of your situation. The key to getting a good answer is asking a good question! How on earth do you expect us to help you when you ask a question and then when someone answers it, you say, "Not so fast... here is the wrinkle...". We're not mind readers!!
  19. Stormyone

Stormyone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually, I thought you would appreciate the wrinkle given that you are the Pres of the Sarcasm Society.... Just kidding.... However, as I was reading your responses I thought I would get enough info without hijacking the thread to help my situation. Additionally I was trying to figure out why the computer was responding as it was when the thought occurred to me that this was the 2nd computer to be linked to my iPad.... So forgive my oversight, no more hidden details....
  20. Stormyone

Stormyone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For what it's worth I stopped by the Apple store and got my problem resolved.... Basically if you syncing to a new computer you sign in to the iTunes store first, then connect the iPad. Go to the file menu and select transfer purchases from iPad. All the stuff will then be transferred to the new computer. Then you can perform a sync after selecting what stuff you want to sync. The computer will then backup the iPad and sync it.... Thank you all for your time...