What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vaja Libretto case - Problem with magnet

mikeypas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello - I just got a Vaja Libretto case for the new ipad (3rd gen). I've been reading extensively regarding the polarity and magnet issues with some cases.

This case does indeed wake the ipad and put it to sleep, when the case is opened and closed. However, when the case is flipped over so that the front is now wrapped around the back (ie. when holding it with two hands), if the case is not perfectly aligned with the ipad, it would shut it off.

I contacted Vaja, and they said that the case only works when it is perfectly aligned. I'm not talking about a large movement, but when your holding the ipad, its very easy for the flap to move just a little, and it shuts the ipad off.

Isn't this indicative that Vaja didn't address the magnet issue?
I read reviews on tons of other cases out there, but none mention the issue of 'accidental shut-off'
photo.jpg See how the flap is only slightly off? Very easy to happen if your holding it. It shuts off the ipad!

Could anyone shed some light? I really want to keep the Vaja case, but its so annoying when it shuts off everytime the case flap moves a few milimeters!

Thanks
Mike

OP
M

mikeypas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting issue that it does that. If I were in your shoes I would just return it and get something else.

They actually did offer to give me a RMA and return it. I kind of want to keep it still, just wondering if all their cases are like this, or if I got a lemon. Also wondering if there is anything I can put on the back of the ipad to block the magnet from turning it off?

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would just go ahead and do that to be completely honest; so you don't have to deal with that problem.

There actually is a mod. Not specifically for that case but for the belkin snap shield. It is to hold the smart cover on the back like the snap shield secure model.

It involves putting some 3M emc absorber tape on the back of the case. The magnets in the snap shield will be attracted to the tape strip and stick. Its not necessarily a magnet nor double sided tape. One side is sticky for attachment to the platform (case) the other side is a reactive material. I don't know the science behind it. There's a video on YouTube though, if you search Belkin snap shield mod.

I was planning on doing it to my snap shield until the secure model gets released. But the price for the smallest roll of the emc absorber tape is like $25... Might as well just get a new case... In my case just wait. In your case, just rma it when you have the chance and pick something else out =/

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They actually did offer to give me a RMA and return it. I kind of want to keep it still, just wondering if all their cases are like this, or if I got a lemon. Also wondering if there is anything I can put on the back of the ipad to block the magnet from turning it off?

If I understand correctly a solution would be to put some kind of spacer on the back so that the magnets are farther away...then they may be to weak to trigger the auto off feature. Felt?

But that seems strange...I'd return it for a refund. It sounds like a bad design to me.

Most reactions