What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using win mobile as modem for Ipad

Erick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to use a windows mobile device (HTC HD2) to connect the Ipad to the Internet?

Anfield800

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I'm doing it no problem using WMWifi Router. It's £15 But there is a free trial version.

Works a treat!

OP
E

Erick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But is it also possible to use 3G and not WIFI?

Anfield800

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure I understand what you are asking, if you have a 3G iPad you can connect via 3G. If you have wifi only, you can connect to your mobile, via wifi, which in turn connects to the web by 3G.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only way I can think would be over wifi to your winmo mobile phone. I dont see any advantage to using the phone's 3G (the only way would be bluetooth, but as far as I know its not supported on the ipad for that). Wifi is capable of higher speeds than 3G, so there shouldnt be much speed drop by using wifi.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, the obvious advantages to tethering this way are:
Why pay twice for data plans if your phone has one already?
Why pay AT&T anything if your phone is with someone else?

This is for when a wifi hotspot is not available - you turn your phone into one.

I use the aforementioned free version of wifi tethering on my WM 6.5 HTC Touch Pro 2. Works fine.
Look for XDA-Tom_Codon_CM_Wifi_Internet_Sharing_VGA on the web.

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tethering

I just upgraded my HTC Touch Pro 2 to Windows mobile 6.5 and couldn't get the tethering working again with the free cab that kierandill mentioned, so I had to go with the WMwifi router that Anfield800 mentioned. I'm using the free trial.

Something to be really cautions of - a lot of phone companies don't allow tethering, and some are deleting their unlimited data plans, so if you use this, you may be racking up truly tremendous bills. Be really careful.

I have Sprint with an unlimited data plan, and with just casual browsing on my pc and iPad for a couple of days, I've already racked up 163 mb of data use... That's a lot for not much usage. I'm concerned that Sprint and others will catch on and cut it off so tethering won't be permitted anymore. I've read of some who have tethering bills in excess of $1,500 for a month's bill.

Hope this is helpful (for my first post here!)

Larry

OP
E

Erick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks,

I didn't know the expression Tethering, but that is what I meant. I do not want to have two data-plans and therefor I want my excisting phone/data-plan to connect the Ipad with Internet.
I understand that it is possible, with the proper apps on the Win Mobile Phone, that I can connect the Ipad to Internet. I do not need Ipad 3G and have can connect Ipad with the phone via Wifi. Is this correct?

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
correct. Just be aware of the limits - mainly the battery life on your phone. To do tethering, you need 3G and Wifi turned on. That could drain a phone pretty quick. It works great in a hotel room with your phone plugged in though. Also, check the fine print on your data contract for limits.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are running a Windows Mobile phone, you should be running a custom Rom. Almost all of the custom Roms make sure that the carrier cannot tell if you are tethering or not. I have a TP2 on Sprint and I use mightyrom to tether, and its flawless. Also, you dont have to worry about the amount of data if you are on sprint, people regularly use 50-100GB a month on that plan for years and have never even been warned. Sprint is the best. That is all.

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry it took me a bit to get back to the thread... I'm on a cross-country drive (LA to Illinois), which is what got me interested in the iPad in the first place... My son is driving now, we're in the middle of Utah, and I'm connected through WMwifi router - surfing, checking Google maps, etc. Am on Sprint, so don't expect problems. I agree with the comment about custom rooms... Haven't done that yet, but my setup (TouchPro 2, WM 6.5) seems ok.

Larry

ignaurus13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluetooth Personal Hotspot in iOS 4.3

Bluetooth tethering without jailbreak now works in ios 4.3.

I am having some issues with it using my WinMo 6.5 phone (Tmo Dash 3G). I have not tested this against an iPhone. The connection cuts after 30 seconds but for those 30 seconds I do have internet connectivity! Has anyone else experienced this disconnect? Has anyone tried this on an iPhone or non-iPhone cell phone? Yes tethering is enabled by my carrier as the tether works fine to my laptop over Bluetooth PAN. Any advice?

Same result using HTC Touch Cruise upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1

I am starting to think that Apple may have configured iPads/iPods to prevent Bluetooth tethering between non-iPhones and iPads. Something is making my Bluetooth tether fail after I connect to a WinMo cell phone.

It is Bluetooth PAN not DUN, right?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I do this all the time with my win mo Tilt. I use the wireless router program from xda. Check out the xda-developers forum if u want to get the free router program. Works and can set up security key codes for it also if u wish. I think the win mo app I have is called xdawireless tether or router.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluetooth tethering without jailbreak now works in ios 4.3.

I am having some issues with it using my WinMo 6.5 phone (Tmo Dash 3G). I have not tested this against an iPhone. The connection cuts after 30 seconds but for those 30 seconds I do have internet connectivity! Has anyone else experienced this disconnect? Has anyone tried this on an iPhone or non-iPhone cell phone? Yes tethering is enabled by my carrier as the tether works fine to my laptop over Bluetooth PAN. Any advice?

Same result using HTC Touch Cruise upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1

I am starting to think that Apple may have configured iPads/iPods to prevent Bluetooth tethering between non-iPhones and iPads. Something is making my Bluetooth tether fail after I connect to a WinMo cell phone.

It is Bluetooth PAN not DUN, right?

I believe it should be PAN, by why even go the BT route of tethering? It's a slower data connection. It would be better for u to just get a wireless wifi tethering app for win mo that reverses ur wifi signal giving off ur data thru the wifi to the iPad. It's a saying faster connection. I BT method when I first started tethering, then once I found out about wifi methods, never looked back as the speed difference is major. BT will only let the data go only so fast.

Most reactions

Latest posts