What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using stylus without screen protection.

sen_ovung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 (32 GB WiFi+3G) without a screen protection i.e., no plastic sheet lamination or any of such types which I use it with Adonit Jot Pro stylus.
So i want to know if it is ok to use the stylus without any screen protection film? Will it cause damage or cause scratch to my screen? Please let me know.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Screen protectors are nothing more than a waste of time, IMO. My ipad 2 looks as new as the day I bought it in march 2011

OP
sen_ovung

sen_ovung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.. Guess i don't need it then.. :)

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Make sure you use a decent stylus, as some cheap eBay type ones do drop black debris onto the screen. Went an bought a decent one from a retailer and no issues since. Screen protectors tend to diminish the performance of stylus' anyway.

OP
sen_ovung

sen_ovung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure you use a decent stylus, as some cheap eBay type ones do drop black debris onto the screen. Went an bought a decent one from a retailer and no issues since. Screen protectors tend to diminish the performance of stylus' anyway.

I use Adonit Jot Pro stylus... Is that good enough?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

dinna081

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I cannot tell you if it works better without screen protection, but i can tell you that i have more than 30 ipads ( without screen protection)in different coffee shops for clients to enjoy their drinks while they use the ipads, and the ipads are in mint condition.
The scratches are coming when the ipad is dropped or is stored with keys or other metal objects.
Have a great day

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you go by the reviews of that stylus that are on Amazon, lots of people claim their screens were scratched from using it. Could be they got some sand or grit on the screen and that got pushed into the screen by the tip of the Adoint Pro -- who knows. But I would suggest you use care. I don't like screen protectors either, but if you get something hard on that screen, like sand or a speck of dirt, it could get scratched. I can't say what's going on with the Adoint, but .....

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the folks who make the Adoint are suggesting folks use a screen protector...probably because of all these complaints. Things may have changed since I considered getting one...but after reading all of that I decided to just forego using a stylus with an iPad....

OP
sen_ovung

sen_ovung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does cause little scratches. Although not very visible. I noticed it recently.. Will try to minimise using it.
Thanks for the help.

Most reactions

Latest posts